Performance Evaluation of an AmI Testbed for Improving QoL: Evaluation Using Clustering Approach Considering Parallel Processing
Ambient intelligence (AmI) deals with a new world of ubiquitous computing devices, where physical environments interact intelligently and unobtrusively with people. AmI environments can be diverse, such as homes, offices, meeting rooms, schools, hospitals, control centers, vehicles, tourist attractions, stores, sports facilities, and music devices. In this paper, we present the design and implementation of a testbed for AmI using Raspberry Pi mounted on Raspbian OS. We analyze the performance of k-means clustering algorithm considering sensing data. For evaluation we considered respiratory rate and heart rate metrics. We speeded up the k-means clustering algorithm by using parallel processing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Lindwer, D. Marculescu, T. Basten, R. Zimmermann, R. Marculescu, S. Jung, E. Cantatore, “Ambient Intelligence Visions and Achievements: Linking Abstract Ideas to Real-World Concepts”, Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition, pp. 10-15, 2003.Google Scholar
- 2.O. Gabel, L. Litz, M. Reif, “NCS Testbed for Ambient Intelligence”, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, pp. 115-120, 2005.Google Scholar
- 3.I. del Campo, M.V. Martinez, J. Echanobe, K. Basterretxea, “A Hardware/Software Embedded Agent for RealTime Control of Ambient-Intelligence Environments”, IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), pp. 1-8, 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Virtex 5 Family Overview, Xilinx Inc., San Jose, CA, 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Bernardos, P. Tarrio, J. R. Casar, CASanDRA, “A framework to provide Context Acquisition Services ANd Reasoning Algorithms for Ambient Intelligence Applications”, International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies, pp. 372-377, 2009.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Acampora, D. Cook, P. Rashidi and A. V. Vasilakos, “A Survey on Ambient Intelligence in Health Care”, Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.101, No.12, pp. 2470-2494, 2013.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Aarts and R. Wichert, “Ambient intelligence”, Technology Guide, pp. 244-249, 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Aarts and B. de Ruyter, “New research perspectives on ambient intelligence”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 5-14, 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Vasilakos and W. Pedrycz, “Ambient Intelligence, Wireless Networking, And Ubiquitous Computing. Norwood”, MA, USA: Artech House, Inc., 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.F. Sadri, “Ambient intelligence: A survey”, ACM Comput. Surv., Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 36:1-36:66, Oct. 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Na, L. Xumin, G. Yong, “Research on k-means Clustering Algorithm: An Improved kmeans Clustering Algorithm”, Third International Symposium on Intelligent Information Technology and Security Informatics (IITSI), pp. 63-67, 2010.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Jigui, L. Jie, Z. Lianyu, “Clustering algorithms Research”, Journal of Software, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 48-61, 2008.Google Scholar
- 13.A. M. Fahim, A. M. Salem, F. A. Torkey, “An efficient enhanced k-means clustering algorithm”, Journal of Zhejiang University Science A, Vol. 10, pp. 1626-1633, 2006.Google Scholar
- 14.K. A. Abdul Nazeer, M. P. Sebastian, “Improving the Accuracy and Efficiency of the k-means Clustering Algorithm”, Proc. of the World Congress on Engineering, vol. 1, 2009.Google Scholar
- 15.M.J. Gonzalez, IEEE, “Program Suitability for Parallel Processing”, 2006.Google Scholar
- 16.“Raspberry Pi Foundation.”, http://www.raspberrypi.org/.
- 17.T. Oda, A. Barolli, S. Sakamoto, L. Barolli, M. Ikeda, K. Uchida, “Implementation and Experimental Results of a WMN Testbed in Indoor Environment Considering LoS Scenario”, The 29-th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA-2015), pp. 37-42, 2015.Google Scholar
- 18.R. Obukata, T. Oda, L. Barolli, “Design of an Ambient Intelligence Testbed for Improving Quality of Life”, The 9-th International Symposium on Mining and Web (MAW-2016), pp. 714-719, 2016.Google Scholar
- 19.“Raspbian: FrontPage.”, https://www.raspbian.org/.
- 20.“Sharp to Release Microwave Sensor Module.”, http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/150625.html/.