YASQLT – Yet Another SQL Tutor
The paper describes an ongoing project of creating an automated assessment tool to help novice students learning SQL in a frame of an introductory database course. In difference to other tools of this kind, the project has chosen a pragmatic approach of focusing on catching common semantic errors, leaving syntax control to professional DBMS. Using agile system development, the project successfully completed two iterations, both of which were tested in practice with satisfactory results. The students appreciated the tool and would like to have similar tools for other subjects, including Relational Algebra, and Conceptual Modeling. The latter is planned for implementation in the near future. The tool is considered to be appropriate for Learning by Failure in the situation of large size classes and short courses.
KeywordsDatabase Technology enhanced learning SQL Assessment
Many thanks to all members of the DSV database teaching team: M. Bergholtz, N. Dimitrakas, J. Snygg, A. Thelemyr and W. Westmoreland for their engagement in the project. The authors are grateful to our prefect U. Fors for allocating resources to the project. We are also thankful to the anonymous reviewers whose comments have helped to improve the text.
- 2.Sadiq, S., Orlowska, M., Sadiq, W., Lin, J.: SQLator – an online SQL learning workbench. In: Proceedings of the 9th Annual SIGCSE Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2004), pp. 223–227 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Mitrovic, S.: An intelligent SQL tutor on the web. Int. J. Artif. Intell. Educ. 13, 171–195 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Dollinger, R., Melville, N.A.: Semantic evaluation of SQL queries. In: Proceedings of 2011 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computer Communication and Processing (ICCP), pp. 57–64 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Abelló, A., Burgués, X., Casany, M.J., Martín, C., Quer, C., Rodríguez, M.E., Romero, O., Urpí, T.: A software tool for E-assessment of relational database skills. Int. J. Eng. Educ. 32(3(A)), 1289–1312 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Agile Alliance: Manifesto for Agile Software Development. http://agilemanifesto.org/. Accessed 10 Oct 2013
- 7.Bider, I.: Analysis of agile software development from the knowledge transformation perspective. In: Johansson, B., Andersson, B., Holmberg, N. (eds.) BIR 2014. LNBIP, vol. 194, pp. 143–157. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Brass, S., Goldberg, C.: Semantic errors in SQL queries: a quite complete list. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Quality Software, QSIC 2004, pp. 250−257 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Manning, R.: JSqlPArser. http://jsqlparser.sourceforge.net/. Accessed June 2016