Optimal Scheduling of Joint Wind-Thermal Systems
This paper is about the joint operation of wind power with thermal power for bidding in day-ahead electricity market. Start-up and variable costs of operation, start-up/shut-down ramp rate limits, and ramp-up limit are modeled for the thermal units. Uncertainty not only due to the electricity market price, but also due to wind power is handled in the context of stochastic mix integer linear programming. The influence of the ratio between the wind power and the thermal power installed capacities on the expected profit is investigated. Comparison between joint and disjoint operations is discussed as a case study.
KeywordsStochastic Mixed integer linear programming Wind-thermal
This work is funded by Portuguese Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology-FCT under the project LAETA 2015‐2020, reference UID/EMS/50022/2013; FCT Research Unit nº 151 C‐MAST Center for Mechanical and Aerospace Sciences and Technology.
- 2.Kongnam, C., Nuchprayoon, S.: Feed-in tariff scheme for promoting wind energy generation. In: IEEE Bucharest Power Technical Conference, Bucharest, Rumania, pp. 1–6 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Bitar, E.Y., Poolla, K.: Selling wind power in electricity markets: the status today, the opportunities tomorrow. In: American Control Conference, Montreal, Canada, pp. 3144–3147 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Barros, J., Leite, H.: Feed-in tariffs for wind energy in Portugal: current status and prospective future. In: 11th International Conference on Electrical Power Quality and Utilization, Lisbon, Portugal¸pp. 1–5 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Cena, A.: The impact of wind energy on the electricity price and on the balancing power costs: the Spanish case. In: European Wind Energy Conference, Marceille, France, pp. 1–6 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Ruiz, P.A., Philbrick, C.R., Sauer, P.W.: Wind power day-ahead uncertainty management through stochastic unit commitment policies. In: IEEE/PES Power System Conference and Exposition, Seattle, USA, pp. 1–9 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Laia, R., Pousinho, H.M.I., Melício, R., Mendes, V.M.F.: Optimal bidding strategies of wind-thermal power producers. In: Camarinha-Matos, L.M., J. Falcão, A., Vafaei, N., Najdi, S. (eds.) DoCEIS 2016. IFIP AICT, vol. 470, pp. 494–503. Springer, Heidelberg (2016). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-31165-4_46CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Fan, S., Liao, J.R., Yokoyama, R., Chen, L.N., Lee, W.J.: Trading wind generation from short-term probabilistic forecasts of wind power. IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 24, 474–482 (2009)Google Scholar
- 20.Laia, R., Pousinho, H.M.I., Melício, R., Mendes, V.M.F., Collares-Pereira, M.: Spinning reserve and emission unit commitment through stochastic optimization. In: IEEE SPEEDAM, Ischia, Italy, pp. 444–448 (2014)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.