Digital Watermarking in Telemedicine an Example from ECG - Review of Challenges, Methods and Applications
Despite fast growth of scope and availability of telemedicine, the concern of data security still remains one of crucial unresolved problems. This paper presents a review of solutions applied to ECG watermarking in both: local area and wide area networks. Digital watermarking provides a simple yet effective way of data protection against unauthorized access and modification, authentication of the sender and secret data containers for additional data. Thanks to a thorough, cardiology-oriented data analysis, all this is possible without alteration of medical content of the record. The review is followed by a discussion of their features and hierarchy in aspect of personalized telemedicine of cardiovascular diseases. It is possible to code in this transmission any other information. Why not to invent a new way of watermarking? This paper shows selected results of the work about this topic.
KeywordsWatermarking ECG Digital watermarking Secret Security Secure communication Authentication Image retrieval Medical data protection
This scientific work is supported by the AGH University of Science and Technology in year 2016 as a research project No. 18.104.22.1682.
- 1.Augustyniak, P.: Analysis of ECG bandwidth gap as a possible carrier for supplementary digital data. Comput. Cardiol. 39, 73–76 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Augustyniak, P.: Encoding the electrocardiogram details in the host record’s bandgap for authorization dependent ECG quality. Comput. Cardiol. 41, 465–468 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Frooq, O., Datta, S., Blackledge, J.M.: Blind tamper detection in audio using chirp based robust watermarking. WSEAS Trans. Sig. Process. 4(4), 190–200 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Ibaida, A., Khalil, I., van Schyndel, R.: A low complexity high capacity ECG signal watermark for wearable sensor-net health monitoring system. Comput. Cardiol. 38, 393–396 (2011). ISSN 0276–6574Google Scholar
- 6.Kaur, S., Frooq, O., Singhal, R., Ahuja, B.S.: Digital watermarking of ECG data for secure wireless communication. In: International Conference on Recent Trends in Information. Tele-communication and Computing. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar