The Minimum Cost Connected Subgraph Problem in Medical Image Analysis
Several important tasks in medical image analysis can be stated in the form of an optimization problem whose feasible solutions are connected subgraphs. Examples include the reconstruction of neural or vascular structures under connectedness constraints.
We discuss the minimum cost connected subgraph (MCCS) problem and its approximations from the perspective of medical applications. We propose (a) objective-dependent constraints and (b) novel constraint generation schemes to solve this optimization problem exactly by means of a branch-and-cut algorithm. These are shown to improve scalability and allow us to solve instances of two medical benchmark datasets to optimality for the first time. This enables us to perform a quantitative comparison between exact and approximative algorithms, where we identify the geodesic tree algorithm as an excellent alternative to exact inference on the examined datasets.
- 1.Türetken, E., Benmansour, F., Andres, B., et al.: Reconstructing curvilinear networks using path classifiers and integer programming. IEEE TPAMI, preprint (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Payer, C., et al.: Automated integer programming based separation of arteries and veins from thoracic CT images. Med. Image Anal. preprint (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Vicente, S., Kolmogorov, V., Rother, C.: Graph cut based image segmentation with connectivity priors. In: Proceedings of CVPR, pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Nowozin, S., Lampert, C.H.: Global connectivity potentials for random field models. In: Proceedings of CVPR, pp. 818–825 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, C., Freedman, D., Lampert, C.H.: Enforcing topological constraints in random field image segmentation. In: Proceedings of CVPR, pp. 2089–2096 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Stühmer, J., Schroder, P., Cremers, D.: Tree shape priors with connectivity constraints using convex relaxation on general graphs. In: Proceedings of ICCV, pp. 2336–2343 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Staal, J.J., Abramoff, M.D., Niemeijer, M., et al.: Ridge based vessel segmentation in color images of the retina. IEEE TMI 23(4), 501–509 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Gurobi Optimization, I.: Gurobi Optimizer Reference Manual (2015)Google Scholar