Memory Efficient LDDMM for Lung CT
In this paper a novel Large Deformation Diffeomorphic Metric Mapping (LDDMM) scheme is presented which has significantly lower computational and memory demands than standard LDDMM but achieves the same accuracy. We exploit the smoothness of velocities and transformations by using a coarser discretization compared to the image resolution. This reduces required memory and accelerates numerical optimization as well as solution of transport equations. Accuracy is essentially unchanged as the mismatch of transformed moving and fixed image is incorporated into the model at high resolution. Reductions in memory consumption and runtime are demonstrated for registration of lung CT images. State-of-the-art accuracy is shown for the challenging DIR-Lab chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) lung CT data sets obtaining a mean landmark distance after registration of 1.03 mm and the best average results so far.
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Memory Consumption Landmark Distance Lung Segmentation Armijo Line Search
This work was supported by a fellowship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and NSF grant ECCS-1148870.
- 7.Hart, G.L., Zach, C., Niethammer, M.: An optimal control approach for deformable registration. In: IEEE CVPR Workshops, pp. 9–16 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Heinrich, M.P., Handels, H., Simpson, I.J.A.: Estimating large lung motion in COPD patients by symmetric regularised correspondence fields. In: Navab, N., Hornegger, J., Wells, W.M., Frangi, A.F. (eds.) MICCAI 2015. LNCS, vol. 9350, pp. 338–345. Springer, Heidelberg (2015). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-24571-3_41 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.König, L., Rühaak, J.: A fast and accurate parallel algorithm for non-linear image registration using normalized gradient fields. In: IEEE ISBI, pp. 580–583 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Lassen, B., Kuhnigk, J.M., Schmidt, M., Krass, S., Peitgen, H.O.: Lung and lung lobe segmentation methods at Fraunhofer MEVIS. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Pulmonary Image Analysis, pp. 185–199 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Modersitzki, J.: FAIR: Flexible Algorithms for Image Registration. SIAM (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Rühaak, J., Heldmann, S., Kipshagen, T., Fischer, B.: Highly accurate fast lung CT registration. In: SPIE 2013, Medical Imaging, p. 86690Y-1-9 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Sakamoto, R., Mori, S., Miller, M.I., Okada, T., Togashi, K.: Detection of time-varying structures by large deformation diffeomorphic metric mapping to aid reading of high-resolution CT images of the lung. PLoS ONE 9(1), 1–11 (2014)Google Scholar