Identifying Patients at Risk for Aortic Stenosis Through Learning from Multimodal Data
In this paper we present a new method of uncovering patients with aortic valve diseases in large electronic health record systems through learning with multimodal data. The method automatically extracts clinically-relevant valvular disease features from five multimodal sources of information including structured diagnosis, echocardiogram reports, and echocardiogram imaging studies. It combines these partial evidence features in a random forests learning framework to predict patients likely to have the disease. Results of a retrospective clinical study from a 1000 patient dataset are presented that indicate that over 25 % new patients with moderate to severe aortic stenosis can be automatically discovered by our method that were previously missed from the records.
- 1.Baumgartner, H., Hung, J., Bermejo, J., Chambers, J.B., Evangelista, A., Griffin, B.P., Iung, B., Otto, C.M., Pellikka, P.A., Quiñones, M.: Echocardiographic assessment of valve stenosis: EAE/ASE recommendations for clinical practice. Eur. Heart J. Cardiovasc. Imaging 10(1), 1–25 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Chatfield, K., Simonyan, K., Vedaldi, A., Zisserman, A.: Return of the devil in the details: delving deep into convolutional nets. In: British Machine Vision Conference (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, T., Kumar, R., Troianowski, G., Syeda-Mahmood, T., Beymer, D., Brannon, K.: PSAR: predictive space aggregated regression and its application in valvular heart disease classification. In: ISBI, pp. 1122–1125 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Manning, C.D., Surdeanu, M., Bauer, J., Finkel, J., Bethard, S.J., McClosky, D.: The Stanford CoreNLP natural language processing toolkit. In: Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) System Demonstrations, pp. 55–60 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Shechner, O., Sheinovitz, M., Feinberg, M., Greenspan, H.: Image analysis of doppler echocardiography for patients with atrial fibrillation. In: ISBI, pp. 488–491 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Syeda-Mahmood, T., Beymer, D., Amir, A.: Disease-specific extraction of text from cardiac echo videos for decision support. In: ICDAR, pp. 1290–1294 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Syeda-Mahmood, T., Kumar, R., Compas, C.: Learning the correlation between images and disease labels using ambiguous learning. In: Navab, N., Hornegger, J., Wells, W.M., Frangi, A.F. (eds.) MICCAI 2015. LNCS, vol. 9350, pp. 185–193. Springer, Heidelberg (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-24571-3_23CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.