Face Photo-Sketch Transformation and Population Generation
The problem of the automatic recognition and processing of face photos and sketches is of significant importance for law enforcement applications. A photo-sketch transformation is a convenient way to reduce dissimilarities between a face sketch and a photo before employing one of the existing face recognition techniques. In this paper, we propose to generate a photo (sketch) population instead of a single image. This approach improves face recognition rate and reduces the effect of different appearance variations. The proposed method is based on the modified version of the Eigenface/Eigensketch approach. We carried out the experiments on the photo-sketch transformation and population generation. The obtained results confirm the capability of the proposed technique to transform sketches of various styles to photos and introduce an inter-population diversity that is sufficient to cover various face appearance deviations.
KeywordsForensic sketch Face recognition Eigenface Eigensketch Face image population
This work was partially financially supported by the Government of the Russian Federation, Grant 074-U01. The authors express their sincere appreciation to Yuri Matveev, Head of SIS Department for his critical remarks and advice that significantly improved this paper.
- 2.Zhang, Y., Ellyson, S., Zone, A., Gangam, P., Sullins, J., McCullough, C., Canavan, S., Yin, L.: Recognizing face sketches by a large number of human subjects: a perception-based study for facial distinctiveness. In: IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition and Workshops, pp. 707–712. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, H., Liu, Z., Rose, C., Xu, Y., Shum, H.Y., Salesin, D.: Example-based composite sketching of human portraits. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, pp. 95–153. ACM (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, Q., Tang, X., Jin, H., Lu, H., Ma, S.: A nonlinear approach for face sketch synthesis and recognition. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), vol. 1, pp. 1005–1010. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Sharma, A., Jacobs, D.W.: Bypassing synthesis: PLS for face recognition with pose, low-resolution and sketch. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2011, pp. 593–600. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.CUFS dataset. http://mmlab.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/archive/facesketch.html
- 18.CUFSF dataset. http://mmlab.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/archive/cufsf/
- 19.Guo, G.: Heterogeneous face recognition: an emerging topic in biometrics. Intel Technol. J. 18(4), 80–97 (2014)Google Scholar