DeepRED – Rule Extraction from Deep Neural Networks
Neural network classifiers are known to be able to learn very accurate models. In the recent past, researchers have even been able to train neural networks with multiple hidden layers (deep neural networks) more effectively and efficiently. However, the major downside of neural networks is that it is not trivial to understand the way how they derive their classification decisions. To solve this problem, there has been research on extracting better understandable rules from neural networks. However, most authors focus on nets with only one single hidden layer. The present paper introduces a new decompositional algorithm – DeepRED – that is able to extract rules from deep neural networks.
The evaluation of the proposed algorithm shows its ability to outperform a pedagogical baseline on several tasks, including the successful extraction of rules from a neural network realizing the XOR function.
- 4.Craven, M., Shavlik, J.W.: Using sampling and queries to extract rules from trained neural networks. In: ICML, pp. 37–45 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Craven, M.W., Shavlik, J.W.: Extracting tree-structured representations of trained networks. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 24–30 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Frey, P.W., Slate, D.J.: Letter recognition using Holland-style adaptive classifiers. Mach. Learn. 6(2), 161–182 (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Johansson, U., Lofstrom, T., Konig, R., Sonstrod, C., Niklasson, L.: Rule extraction from opaque models-a slightly different perspective. In: 5th International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, ICMLA 2006, pp. 22–27. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Quinlan, J.R.: C4.5: Programs for Machine Learning, vol. 1. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Sato, M., Tsukimoto, H.: Rule extraction from neural networks via decision tree induction. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IJCNN 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1870–1875. IEEE (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Sethi, K.K., Mishra, D.K., Mishra, B.: KDRuleEx: a novel approach for enhancing user comprehensibility using rule extraction. In: 2012 Third International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), pp. 55–60. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.Thrun, S.: Extracting provably correct rules from artificial neural networks. Technical report, University of Bonn, Institut für Informatik III (1993)Google Scholar
- 18.Thrun, S.: Extracting rules from artificial neural networks with distributed representations. In: Advances in neural information processing systems, pp. 505–512 (1995)Google Scholar
- 19.Towell, G.G., Shavlik, J.W.: Extracting refined rules from knowledge-based neural networks. Mach. Learn. 13(1), 71–101 (1993)Google Scholar
- 21.Zhou, Z.H., Chen, S.F., Chen, Z.Q.: A statistics based approach for extracting priority rules from trained neural networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE-INNS-ENNS International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IJCNN 2000, vol. 3, pp. 401–406. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar