A Study of Student and University Teaching Staff Presence on ResearchGate and Academia.edu in Spain
The main function of a Scientific Social Network (SSN) is to provide researchers and academics with a channel through which to promote their work and make their findings available to others. However, as of today, the majority of studies published on SSN sites (which have been assumed to be used almost exclusively by university teaching staff) provide only a partial picture of the overall SSN user community. Research reported in this article was conducted to test the hypothesis that although the majority of SSN profiles belong to university teaching staff, an ever-growing number of undergraduate, masters and doctoral students are actively using these platforms. An analysis of tallies of ResearchGate and Academia.edu profiles attributable to two distinct groups (university teaching staff on the one hand and undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students on the other) within five different Spanish academic communities indicates that university students at all levels now account for a significant percentage of the total ResearchGate and Academia.edu profiles created and maintained in Spain.
KeywordsScientific social networks (SSN) Spanish universities Researchgate Academia.edu
- Campos Freire, F., & Direito Rebollal, S. (2015). La gestión de la visibilidad de la ciencia en las redes sociales digitales. In J. Rom, J. Cuenca & K. Zilles (Eds.), Negotiating (in)visibility: managing attention in the digital sphere. VIII International Conference on Communication and Reality, 117–124.Google Scholar
- Iglesias-García, M., González-Díaz, C., & Codina, L. (2015). Estudio de los perfiles de ResearGate y Academia.edu en las universidades españolas: el caso de los Departamentos de Comunicación Audiovisual y Publicidad. XESCOM I Simposio Internacional sobre Gestión de la Comunicación. Pontevedra (España).Google Scholar
- Martorell, S., Canet, F., & Codina, L. (2014). Canalizar audiencias académicas: Propuesta de una red social para investigadores en estudios fílmicos. Hipertext. net 12.Google Scholar
- ResearchGate (2015a). Celebrating 6 million members. Retrieved December 18, 2015 from https://www.researchgate.net
- ResearchGate (2015b). 8 out of 8 million. Retrieved December 18, 2015 from https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/8-out-of-8-million