Towards Security-Explicit Formal Modelling of Safety-Critical Systems
Modern industrial control systems become increasingly interconnected and rely on external networks to provide their services. Hence they become vulnerable to security attacks that might directly jeopardise their safety. The growing understanding that if the system is not secure then it is not safe calls for novel development and verification techniques weaving security consideration into the safety-driven design. In this paper, we demonstrate how to make explicit the relationships between safety and security in the formal system development by refinement. The proposed approach allows the designers to identify at early design states mutual interdependencies between the mechanisms ensuring safety and security and build robust system architecture.
This work is partially funded by the TEKES project Cyber Trust.
- 2.Brunel, J., Rioux, L., Paul, S., Faucogney, A., Vallée, F.: Formal safety and security assessment of an avionic architecture with alloy. In: ESSS 2014, EPTCS, vol. 150, pp. 8–19 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Cimatti, A., DeLong, R., Marcantonio, D., Tonetta, S.: Combining MILS with contract-based design for safety and security requirements. In: Koornnee, F., van Gulijk, C. (eds.) SAFECOMP 2015 Workshops. LNCS, vol. 9338, pp. 264–276. Springer, Heidelberg (2015). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-24249-1_23 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kelly, T.P.: Arguing safety - a systematic approach to managing safety cases. Ph.D. thesis (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Kriaa, S., Bouissou, M., Colin, F., Halgand, Y., Pietre-Cambacedes, L.: Safety and security interactions modeling using the BDMP formalism: case study of a pipeline. In: Bondavalli, A., Di Giandomenico, F. (eds.) SAFECOMP 2014. LNCS, vol. 8666, pp. 326–341. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Rodin: Event-B platform. http://www.event-b.org/
- 9.Schmittner, C., Gruber, T., Puschner, P., Schoitsch, E.: Security application of failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA). In: Bondavalli, A., Di Giandomenico, F. (eds.) SAFECOMP 2014. LNCS, vol. 8666, pp. 310–325. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar