Analysis and Refinement of a Temporal-Causal Network Model for Absorption of Emotions
An earlier proposed temporal-causal network model for mutual absorption of emotions aims to model emotion contagion in networks using characteristics such as traits of openness and expressiveness of the members of the network, and the strengths of the connections between them. The speed factors describing how fast emotional states change, were modeled based on these characteristics according to a fixed dependence relation. In this paper, particular implications of this choice are analyzed. Based on this analysis, a refinement of the model is proposed, offering alternative ways of modeling speed factors. This refinement is also analyzed and evaluated.
KeywordsTemporal-causal network model Absorption model Emotion contagion Computational modeling
E.F.M. Araujo’s stay at the VU Amsterdam was funded by the Brazilian Science without Borders Program, through a fellowship given by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel – CAPES (reference 13538-13-6).
- 1.Iacoboni, M.: Mirroring people: the new science of how we connect with others. Macmillan, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Treur, J.: Dynamic modeling based on a temporal-causal network modeling approach. Biol. Inspired Cogn. Archit. 16, 131–168 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Bosse, T., Duell, R., Memon, Z.A., Treur, J., van der Wal, C.: A multi-agent model for emotion contagion spirals integrated within a supporting ambient agent model. In: Yang, J.-J., Yokoo, M., Ito, T., Jin, Z., Scerri, P. (eds.) PRIMA 2009. LNCS, vol. 5925, pp. 48–67. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bosse, T., Duell, R., Memon, Z.A., Treur, J., Van Der Wal, C.N.: Multi-agent model for mutual absorption of emotions. In: ECMS, pp. 212–218 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Duell, R., Memon, Z.A., Treur, J., Van Der Wal, C.N.: An ambient agent model for group emotion support. In: 2009 3rd International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction and Workshops, ACII 2009, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Klein, M., Manzoor, A., Mollee, J., Treur, J.: Effect of changes in the structure of a social network on emotion contagion. In: 2014 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence (WI) and Intelligent Agent Technologies (IAT), vol. 3, pp. 270–277. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Araújo, E.F.M., Tran, A.V., Mollee, J.S., Klein, M.C.: Analysis and evaluation of social contagion of physical activity in a group of young adults. In: Proceedings of the ASE BigData & SocialInformatics 2015. ACM (2015)Google Scholar