Learning Analytics Pilot with Coach2 - Searching for Effective Mirroring
Coach2 project investigated usability and effectiveness of Learning Analytics in a group of Bachelor courses in the area of Computer Science. An advanced architecture was developed and implemented, including a standalone Learning Record Store for data storage and easy access to miscellaneous data, Machine Learning techniques for determining relevant predictors, and a dashboard for informing learners. The overall approach was based on mirroring, the idea that learners see themselves operating in the context of their peers. The results were informative in terms of pro’s and con’s regarding the design and approach. The treatment showed tendencies, but finding statistical significant results turned out difficult. This paper reports on the Coach2 project.
KeywordsLearning Analytics Usability and effectiveness Higher education Mirroring
- 1.Bredeweg, B., et al.: Coach2 project, UvAInform Learninganalytics. University of Amsterdam teaching innovation call (2015). http://starfish.innovatievooronderwijs.nl/project/603/
- 3.Chatti, M.A., et al.: Learner modeling in academic networks. In: Proceedings - IEEE 14th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, ICALT 2014, pp. 117–121. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc. (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Duval, E.: Attention please! Learning analytics for visualization and recommendation. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge, LAK 11, p. 917. ACM, New York (2011). doi: 10.1145/2090116.2090118
- 5.Park, Y., et al.: Development of the learning analytics dashboard to support student’s learning performance. J. UCS 21(1), 110–133 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Verbert, K., et al.: Learning Analytics Dashboard Applications. Am. Behav. Sci. (2013). http://abs.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/02/27/0002764213479363.abstract