Generic Web Framework for Environmental Data Visualization
The Web and the growing popularity of Internet of Things show a large need for data visualization. This paper presents both a concept and an implemented prototype for a framework that supports a user in creating data visualizations on the Web. The concept is based on a microservice architecture using lightweight REST based service interfaces for communication. The prototype is evaluated using environmental data gathered by the State Office for the Environment, Measurements and Nature Conservation of the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg (LUBW). The main advantages of the framework are high customizability and no requirements for programming skills for using a large part of the framework.
KeywordsData visualization Web component Microservice REST
- Braun, E. (2015). A highly customizable and generic weg framework for data visualization (Master’s Thesis, KIT 2015).Google Scholar
- Liferay. (2016). Retrieved April 01, 2016 from https://www.liferay.com.
- Newman, S. (2015). Building Microservices. Sebastopol: O’Reilly Media.Google Scholar
- OpenTSDB. (2016). Retrieved June 06, 2016 from http://opentsdb.net/.
- Polymer Project. (2016). Retrieved April 01, 2016 from https://www.polymer-project.org.
- Spring Boot (2016). Retrieved April 01, 2016 from http://projects.spring.io/spring-boot/.
- Tilkov, S. (2011). Rest and HTTP. dpunkt.verlag, Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Umweltbundesamt: Particulate matter. (2013). Retrieved April 01, 2016 from https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en/topics/air/particulate-matter-pm10.
- Umweltbundesamt: Nitrogen dioxide. (2013). Retrieved April 01, 2016 from https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en/topics/air/nitrogen-dioxide.
- W3: Web Components Current Status. (2016). Retrieved April 01, 2016 from https://www.w3.org/standards/techs/components#w3c_all.