Evolutionary Image Registration in Craniofacial Superimposition: Modeling and Incorporating Expert Knowledge
Craniofacial superimposition involves the process of overlaying a skull with a number of ante-mortem images of an individual and the analysis of their morphological correspondence. This research focused on the skull-face overlay stage with the aim of modeling the expert knowledge that is related to the existing anthropometric differences among landmarks and incorporating it into this stage. Consequently, we have moved from a single-objective optimization problem to a multiobjective optimization one aimed to reduce the distances between pairs of landmarks from each group independently. To tackle it, two classic approaches from the area of multicriteria decision making were used: weighted sum and lexicographical order. The results, which were obtained over a Ground Truth dataset, are promising in those cases where the forensic expert has located a large number of landmarks, and worse results than the state of the art method in cases with few landmarks.
- 3.Damas, S., Wilkinson, C., Kahana, T., Veselovskaya, E., Abramov, A., Jankauskas, R., Jayaprakash, P.T., Ruiz, E., Navarro, F., Huete, M.I., Cunha, E., Cavalli, F., Clement, J., Lestón, P., Molinero, F., Briers, T., Viegas, F., Imaizumi, K., Humpire, D., Ibáñez, O.: Study on the performance of different craniofacial superimposition approaches (II): best practices proposal. Forensic Sci. Int. 257, 504–508 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Campomanes-Alvarez, B., Ibanez, O., Campomanes-Alvarez, C., Damas, S., Cordon, O.: Modeling facial soft tissue thickness for automatic skull-face overlay. IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Secur. PP(99), 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Ibáñez, O., Cordón, O., Damas, S., Santamaría, J.: Modeling the skull-face overlay uncertainty using fuzzy sets. IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Syst. 16, 946–959 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Faugeras, O.: Three-Dimensional Computer Vision. A Geometric Viewpoint, 1st edn. The MIT Press, Cambridge (1993)Google Scholar
- 16.Cummaudo, M., Guerzoni, M., Marasciuolo, L., Gibelli, D., Cigada, A., Obertová, Z., Ratnayake, M., Poppa, P., Gabriel, P., Ritz-Timme, S., Cattaneo, C.: Pitfalls at the root of facial assessment on photographs: a quantitative study of accuracy in positioning facial landmarks. Int J. Leg. Med. 127, 699–706 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar