Evaluating Co-authorship Networks in Author Name Disambiguation for Common Names
With the increasing size of digital libraries it has become a challenge to identify author names correctly. The situation becomes more critical when different persons share the same name (homonym problem) or when the names of authors are presented in several different ways (synonym problem). This paper focuses on homonym names in the computer science bibliography DBLP. The goal of this study is to evaluate a method which uses co-authorship networks and analyze the effect of common names on it. For this purpose we clustered the publications of authors with the same name and measured the effectiveness of the method against a gold standard of manually assigned DBLP records. The results show that despite the good performance of implemented method for most names, we should optimize for common names. Hence community detection was employed to optimize the method. Results prove that the applied method improves the performance for these names.
KeywordsAuthor name homonyms Co-authorship network Community detection Louvain method Gold standard
This work was funded by BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany) under grant number 01PQ13001, the Competence Centre for Bibliometrics. We thank our colleagues at DBLP who helped with generating the testbed .
- 2.Caron, E., van Eck, N.J.: Large scale author name disambiguation using rule-based scoring and clustering (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Levin, F.H., Heuser, C.A.: Evaluating the use of social networks in author name disambiguation in digital libraries. JIDM 1(2), 183–198 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Momeni, F., Mayr, P.: An Open Testbed for Author Name Disambiguation Evaluation (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.7802/1234
- 7.Nguyen, H.T., Cao, T.H.: Named entity disambiguation: a hybrid statisticaland rule-based incremental approach. In: ASWC 2008Google Scholar
- 8.Shin, D., Kim, T., Jung, H., Choi, J.: Automatic method for author name disambiguation using social networks (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, P., Zhao, J., Huang, K., Xu, B.: A unified semi-supervised framework for author disambiguation in academic social network. In: DEXA 2014Google Scholar