Filter Bank Common Spatio-Spectral Patterns for Motor Imagery Classification
In this study, a new spatio-spectral filtering method for motor imagery signal analysis is introduced. Motor imagery is an important research area in brain computer interfacing. EEG signals related with motor imagery have characteristic frequencies originating from sensorimotor cortex. Common spatial patterns (CSP) method is a very popular and successful spatial filtering algorithm in motor imagery classification. However, CSP only optimizes spatial filters, subject specific frequency selection should be done manually, which is a meticulous process. Therefore, an automatic method for spectral filter optimization is needed. Proposed filter bank common spatio-spectral patterns (FBCSSP) algorithm optimizes spatial and spectral filters. FBCSSP method uses a network of a filter bank and two consecutive CSP layers so that proposed structure has a subject specific response in both spatial and spectral domains. We inspected the proposed method in terms of classification accuracy and physiological consistence of the created filters using publicly available data set. FBCSSP method gave higher classification accuracy than other spatio-spectral pattern methods in the literature. Also, obtained spatial and spectral filters were consistent with the spatial and spectral properties of motor imagery signals.
KeywordsBrain computer interfaces (BCI) Motor imagery (MI) Electroencephalogram (EEG) Common spatial patterns (CSP)
- 1.Ang, K.K., Chin, Z.Y., Zhang, H., Guan, C.: Filter bank common spatial pattern (FBCSP) in brain-computer interface. In: IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks 2008, IJCNN 2008 (IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence), pp. 2390–2397. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Blankertz, B., Muller, K.R., Curio, G., Vaughan, T.M., Schalk, G., Wolpaw, J.R., Schlogl, A., Neuper, C., Pfurtscheller, G., Hinterberger, T., et al.: The BCI competition 2003: progress and perspectives in detection and discrimination of eeg single trials. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 51(6), 1044–1051 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Blankertz, B., Muller, K.R., Krusienski, D.J., Schalk, G., Wolpaw, J.R., Schlogl, A., Pfurtscheller, G., Millan, J.R., Schroder, M., Birbaumer, N.: The BCI competition iii: validating alternative approaches to actual BCI problems. IEEE Trans. Neural Syst. Rehabil. Eng. 14(2), 153–159 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Novi, Q., Guan, C., Dat, T.H., Xue, P.: Sub-band common spatial pattern (SBCSP) for brain-computer interface. In: 3rd International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering 2007, CNE 2007, pp. 204–207. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Tomioka, R., Dornhege, G., Nolte, G., Blankertz, B., Aihara, K., Müller, K.R.: Spectrally weighted common spatial pattern algorithm for single trial EEG classification. Department of Mathematical Engineering, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan, Technical report 40 (2006)Google Scholar