Rapid Developing the Simulation and Control Systems for a Multifunctional Autonomous Agricultural Robot with ROS
Building customized control system for specific robot is generally acknowledged as the fundamental section of developing auto robots. To simplify the programming process and increase the reuse of codes, this research develops a general method of developing customized robot simulation and control system software with robot operating system (ROS). First, a 3D visualization model is created in URDF (unified robot description format), and is viewed in Rviz to achieve motion planning with MoveIt! software package. Second, the machine vision provided by camera driver package in ROS enables the use of tools for image process, 3D point cloud analysis to reconstruct the environment to achieve accurate target location. Third, the communication protocols provided by ROS like serial, Modbus support the communication system development. To examine the method, we designed a tomato harvesting dual-arm robot, and conducted farming experiment with it. This work demonstrates the advantages of ROS when applied in robot control system development, and offers a plain method of building such system with ROS.
KeywordsRobot Operating System (ROS) Dual-arm multifunctional robot Rapid system development Autonomous agricultural robot Rviz
This research is founded by MOST of China under Grant No. 2014BAD08B01 and No. 2015BAF13B02, and partially supported by the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China under Grant No. 2013AA102307.
- 1.Bac, C.W., Henten, E.J., Hemming, J., et al.: Harvesting robots for high-value crops. In: State of the Art Review and Challenges Ahead, pp. 888–911 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, Y.H., Lee, K., Cui, S.X., Risch, E.: Research on agricultural robot and applications. In: Southern Plains Agricultural Research Center, College Station (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Quigley, M., Conley, K., Gerkey, B., et al.: ROS: an open-source robot operating system. In: ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Cao, Z.W., Ping, X.L., Chen, S.L., Jiang, Y.: Research on method of developing robot model based on ROS (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Yousuf, A., Lehman, W., Mustafa: Introducing kinematics with robot operating system (ROS). In: ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Bradski, G., Kaehler, A.: Learning OpenCV: Computer vision with the OpenCV library. O’Reilly Media Inc., Sebastopol (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Hoske, M.T.: ROS Industrial aims to open, unify advanced robotic programming. Control Eng. 60(2), 20 (2013)Google Scholar