Improved Differential Fault Analysis on Camellia-128
In this paper we propose improved Differential Fault Analysis (DFA) on the block cipher Camellia with a 128-bit key. Existing DFAs on Camellia-128 require several faults induced at multiple rounds, at least two of which must be induced at or after the 16-th round. On the other hand, by utilizing longer fault propagation paths than the existing DFAs, the proposed attacks require random byte faults to targeted byte positions induced only at the 14-th round. The simulation results confirm the feasibility of the proposed attacks. Our attacks indicate that the last 5 rounds of Camellia-128, two more rounds compared with the existing DFAs, must be protected against DFAs.
KeywordsDifferential fault analysis DFA Camellia Fault propagation path
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments. This research was partially supported by CREST, JST and JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 25280001.
- 1.Ali, S.S., Mukhopadhyay, D.: A differential fault analysis on aes key schedule using single fault. In: FDTC, pp. 35–42. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Ali, S.S., Mukhopadhyay, D.: Improved differential fault analysis of CLEFIA. In: The 10th Workshop on Fault Diagnosis and Tolerance in Cryptography - FDTC, pp. 60–70. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, H., Zhou, Y., Wu, W., Wang, N.: Fault propagation pattern based DFA on feistel ciphers, with application to Camellia. In: The 10th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology - CIT, pp. 1050–1057. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Japan CRYPTREC (Cryptography Research and Evaluation Committees). http://www.cryptrec.go.jp/english/index.html
- 10.The NESSIE project (New European Schemes for Signatures, Integrity and Encryption). https://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/nessie/
- 14.Takahashi, J., Fukunaga, T.: Improved differential fault analysis on CLEFIA. In: The 5th Workshop on Fault Diagnosis and Tolerance in Cryptography - FDTC, pp. 25–34. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Tunstall, M., Mukhopadhyay, D., Ali, S.: Differential fault analysis of the advanced encryption standard using a single fault. In: Ardagna, C.A., Zhou, J. (eds.) WISTP 2011. LNCS, vol. 6633, pp. 224–233. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhao, V., Wang, T.: An Improved Differential Fault Attacks on Camellia. Cryptology ePrint Archive/585 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhao, X., Wang, T., Guo, S.: Further improved deep differential fault analysis on Camellia. In: The 2nd International Conference on Instrumentation, Measurement, Computer, Communication and Control - IMCCC, pp. 878–882, IEEE Computer Society (2012)Google Scholar