Planning Roadside Units for Information Dissemination in Urban VANET
With the development of vehicular ad hoc network (VANET), data dissemination has been widely studied and its performance is expected to be greatly improved. Research on data dissemination generally focuses on how to utilize road infrastructures, such as roadside units (RSUs), to facilitate the dissemination. In this paper, we consider a VANET where a given number of RSUs are available for disseminating information in an urban area. We formulate the problem as to minimize the number of RSUs selected from the available RSUs to cover a specific region. The paper proposes a c-street model and a city model. Then we develop a greedy polynomial time covering algorithm under the c-street model and a polynomial time approximation scheme is proposed under the city model based on shifting strategy. By evaluating the proposed solution in realistic urban environment, our simple greedy algorithm is implemented and some simulation results are provided.
KeywordsVANET RSU Data dissemination Polynomial time Approximation
The authors are very grateful to the anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments on an earlier version of this paper.
- 2.Dubey, B.B., Chauhan, N., Pant, S.: Effect of position of fixed infrastructure on data dissemination in VANETs. IJRRCS 2(2), 482–486 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Cavalcante, E.S., Aquino, A.L., Pappa, G.L., Loureiro, A.A.: Roadside unit deployment for information dissemination in a VANET: An evolutionary approach. In: Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference Companion on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 27–34. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Liang, Y., Liu, H., Rajan, D.: Optimal placement and configuration of roadside units in vehicular networks. In: Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), pp. 1–6, Yokohama (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, J.: Design of a network coverage analyzer for roadside-to-vehicle telematics networks. In: Ninth ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking, and Parallel/Distributed Computing, vol. 13(12), pp. 201–205 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Akabane, A.T., Villas, L.A., Madeira, M., Roberto, E.: An adaptive solution for data dissemination under diverse road traffic conditions in urban scenarios. In: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), pp. 1654–1659, New Orleans (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Mukherjee, J.C., Gupta, A., Sreenivas, R.C.: Event Notification in VANET With Capacitated Roadside Units. IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. pp(99), 1–13 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Lin, Y., Rubin, I.: Throughput maximization under guaranteed dissemination coverage for VANET systems. In: Information Theory and Applications Workshop (ITA), pp. 313–318 (2015)Google Scholar