Mathematical Models: A Research Data Category?
Mathematical modeling and simulation (MMS) has now been established as an essential part of the scientific work in many disciplines and application areas. It is common to categorize the involved numerical data and to some extend the corresponding scientific software as research data. Both have their origin in mathematical models. In this contribution we propose a holistic approach to research data in MMS by including the mathematical models and discuss the initial requirements for a conceptual data model for this field.
KeywordsResearch data Mathematical modeling and simulation Mathematical knowledge management
The authors are grateful for many fruitful discussions with W. Sperber who helped to shape their knowledge on the topic.
- 1.Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft : DFG Guidelines on the Handling of Research Data. Adopted by the Senate of the DFG at 30 September 2015Google Scholar
- 2.European Commission: Guidelines on Open Access to Scientific Publications and Research Data in Horizon 2020, Version 2.1, 15 February 2016Google Scholar
- 3.Brase, J.: DataCite - a global registration agency for research data. In: Fourth International Conference on Cooperation and Promotion of Information Resources in Science and Technology, COINFO 2009, pp. 257–261, Beijing (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Kraft, A.: RADAR - a repository for long tail data. In: Proceedings of the IATUL Conferences. Paper 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Greuel, G.-M., Sperber, W.: swMATH – an information service for mathematical software. In: Hong, H., Yap, C. (eds.) ICMS 2014. LNCS, vol. 8592, pp. 691–701. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar