Modal Superimposition for Multi-fingers Variable Friction Tactile Device
In this study, we develop and implement a method for superimposing two vibration modes in order to produce different tactile stimuli on two fingers located in different positions. The tactile stimulation is based on the squeeze film effect which decreases the friction between a fingertip and a vibrating plate.
Experimental test have been conducted on a 1D tactile device. They show that it is possible to continuously control the friction on two fingers moving independently. Then, we developed the design of a 2D device based on the same principle, which gives rise to the design of a two-fingers tactile display. Evaluations were conducted using a modal analysis with experimental validation.
KeywordsUltrasonic Vibration modes Tactile stimulation Multi-touch
- 1.Adams, M.J., Johnson, S.A., Lefèvre, P., Lévesque, V., Hayward, V., André, T., Thonnard, J.L.: Finger pad friction and its role in grip and touch. J. R. Soc. Interface 10(80) (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Bau, O., Poupyrev, I., Israr, A., Harrison, C.: Teslatouch: electrovibration for touch surfaces. In: Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, UIST 2010, pp. 283–292 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Ghenna, S., Giraud, F., Giraud-Audine, C., Amberg, M., Lemaire-Semail, B.: Preliminary design of a multi-touch ultrasonic tactile stimulator. In: 2015 IEEE World Haptics Conference (WHC), pp. 31–36, June 2015Google Scholar
- 5.Giraud, F., Amberg, M., Lemaire-Semail, B., Casiez, G.: Design of a transparent tactile stimulator. In: 2012 IEEE Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS), pp. 485–489, March 2012Google Scholar
- 8.Nadal, C., Giraud-Audine, C., Giraud, F., Amberg, M., Lemaire-Semail, B.: Modelling of a beam excited by piezoelectric actuators in view of tactile applications. In: Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Son, K.J., Kim, K.: The use of degenerate mode shapes in piezoelectric variable-friction tactile displays(the 12th international conference on motion and vibration control). Dynamics and Design Conference 2014(12), pp. 1–7, August 2014Google Scholar