On Quantum Computation, Anyons, and Categories
We explain the use of category theory in describing certain sorts of anyons . Yoneda’s lemma leads to a simplification of that description. For the particular case of Fibonacci anyons , we also exhibit some calculations that seem to be known to the experts but not explicit in the literature.
KeywordsAnyon model Fibonacci anyons Quantum computing Categories Yoneda Lemma Mathematical foundations
- 1.Bagchi, B., & Misra, G. (2000). A note on the multipliers and projective representations of semi-simple Lie groups. Sankhyā: The Indian Journal of Statistics, 62, 425–432.Google Scholar
- 2.Bonderson, P. H. (2007). Non-abelian anyons and interferometry. Ph.D. thesis, California Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- 3.Freyd, P. (1964). Abelian categories: An introduction to the theory of functors. Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- 4.Giulini, D. (2007). Superselection rules. http://arxiv.org/pdf/0710.1516.pdf.
- 5.Kauffman, L., & Lomonaco, S. (2010). Topological quantum information theory. In S. Lomonaco (Ed.), Quantum information science and its contribution to mathematics. Proceedings of symposia in pure mathematics (Vol. 68, pp. 103–177). American Mathematical Society.Google Scholar
- 6.Kitaev, A. (2003). Fault-tolerant quantum computation by anyons. Annals of Physics, 303, 2–30. http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9707021.
- 7.Mac Lane, S. (1971). Categories for the working mathematician. Graduate Texts in Mathematics 5. Springer.Google Scholar
- 8.Nayak, C., Simon, S., Stern, A., Freedman, M., & Das Sarma, S. (2008). Non-abelian anyons and topological quantum computation. Reviews of Modern Physics, 80, 1083–1159.Google Scholar
- 9.Panangaden, P., & Paquette, É. O. (2011). A categorical presentation of quantum computation with anyons, Chapter 15. In B. Coecke (Ed.), New structures for physics. Lecture Notes in Physics (Vol. 813, pp. 983–1025). Springer.Google Scholar
- 10.Raghunathan, M. S. (1994). Universal central extensions. Reviews of Modern Physics, 6, 207–225.Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, Z. (2010). Topological quantum computation. CBMS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics (Vol. 112). American Mathematical Society.Google Scholar