Breast Conserving Surgery Outcome Prediction: A Patient-Specific, Integrated Multi-modal Imaging and Mechano-Biological Modelling Framework
Patient-specific surgical predictions of Breast Conserving Therapy, through mechano-biological simulations, could inform the shared decision making process between clinicians and patients by enabling the impact of different surgical options to be visualised. We present an overview of our processing workflow that integrates MR images and three dimensional optical surface scans into a personalised model. Utilising an interactively generated surgical plan, a multi-scale open source finite element solver is employed to simulate breast deformity based on interrelated physiological and biomechanical processes that occur post surgery. Our outcome predictions, based on the pre-surgical imaging, were validated by comparing the simulated outcome with follow-up surface scans of four patients acquired 6 to 12 months post-surgery. A mean absolute surface distance of 3.3 mm between the follow-up scan and the simulation was obtained.
KeywordsBreast imaging Oncoplastic breast surgery Surgical planning Image registration Surface reconstruction Finite element Mathematical modelling
- 2.Curran, D., van Dongen, J., Aaronson, N., Kiebert, G., Fentiman, I., Mignolet, F., Bartelink, H.: Quality of life of early-stage breast cancer patients treated with radical mastectomy or breast-conserving procedures: results of EORTC trial 10801. Eur. J. Cancer 34(3), 307–314 (1998)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Newcombe, R.A., Izadi, S., Hilliges, O., Molyneaux, D., Kim, D., Davison, A.J., Kohi, P., Shotton, J., Hodges, S., Fitzgibbon, A.: Kinectfusion: real-time dense surface mapping and tracking. In: 2011 10th IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR), pp. 127–136 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Lacher, R., Hipwell, J., Williams, N., Keshtgar, M., Hawkes, D., Stoyanov, D.: Low-cost surface reconstruction for aesthetic results assessment and prediction in breast cancer surgery. In: 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 5871–5874 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Murray, J.: Mathematical Biology I: An Introduction. Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, 3rd edn. Springer, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Eiben, B., Vavourakis, V., Hipwell, J.H., Kabus, S., Lorenz, C., Buelow, T., Williams, N.R., Keshtgar, M., Hawkes, D.J.: Surface driven biomechanical breast image registration. In: Webster, R.J., Yaniv, Z.R. (eds.) Medical Imaging 2016: Image-Guided Procedures, Robotic Interventions, and Modeling. Proceedings SPIE, vol. 9786, 97860W–97860W-10 (2016)Google Scholar