Summary of Outcomes from Consecutive Years of Tomosynthesis Screening at an American Academic Institution
Digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT) screening outcomes are sustainable over consecutive years with significant reductions in recall and increasing cancers per recalled patients compared to screening with digital mammography alone (DM). There is a prevalence effect with a reduction in cancer detection at the second round of screening that is no longer present at the third round. There is a non-statistically significant trend of decreased interval cancers with DBT compared to DM alone screening. Early data on the implementation of synthetic 2D (s2D) imaging coupled with DBT shows maintenance of screening outcomes with reduction in radiation dose compared to DM/DBT screening .
KeywordsBreast cancer Screening Mammography Digital breast tomosynthesis
- 1.Skaane, P., Bandos, A.I., Eben, E.B., Jebsen, I.N., Krager, M., Haakenaasen, U., Ekseth, U., Izadi, M., Hofvind, S., Gullien, R.: Two-view digital breast tomosynthesis screening with synthetically reconstructed projection images: comparison with digital breast tomosynthesis with full-field digital mammographic images. Radiology 271(3), 655–663 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ciatto, S., Houssami, N., Bernardi, D., Caumo, F., Pellegrini, M., Brunelli, S., Tuttobene, P., Bricolo, P., Fanto, C., Valentini, M., Montemezzi, S., Macaskill, P.: Integration of 3D digital mammography with tomosynthesis for population breast-cancer screening (STORM): a prospective comparison study. Lancet Oncol. 14(7), 583–589 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gilbert, F.J., Tucker, L., Gillan, M.G., et al.: The TOMMY trial: a comparison of TOMosynthesis with digital MammographY in the UK NHS breast screening programme–a multicentre retrospective reading study comparing the diagnostic performance of digital breast tomosynthesis and digital mammography with digital mammography alone. Health Technol. Assess. 19(i–xxv), 1–136 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.McDonald, E.S., Oustimov, A., Weinstein, S.P., Synnestvedt, M., Schnall, M., Conant, E.C.: Effectiveness of tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography: outcomes analysis from three years of breast cancer screening. JAMA Oncol. (2016, in press)Google Scholar
- 9.Zuckerman, S.P., Conant, E.F., Weinstein, S.P., Synnestvedt, M., Korhonen, K.E., McDonald, E.S.: Early implementation of synthesized 2D in screening with digital breast tomosynthesis: a pictorial essay of early outcomes. Presented at the 101st RSNA Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 29 November – 4 December 2015Google Scholar