Automatic System for Zebrafish Counting in Fish Facility Tanks
In this project we propose a computer vision method, based on background subtraction, to estimate the number of zebrafish inside a tank. We addressed questions related to the best choice of parameters to run the algorithm, namely the threshold blob area for fish detection and the reference area from which a blob area in a threshed frame may be considered as one or multiple fish. Empirical results obtained after several tests show that the method can successfully estimate, within a margin of error, the number of zebrafish (fries or adults) inside fish tanks proving that adaptive background subtraction is extremely effective for blob isolation and fish counting.
KeywordsComputer vision Zebrafish counting Background subtraction Hu moments Image processing
This work was supported by national funds through Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) with reference UID/CEC/50021/2013.
- 1.Boom, B.J., et al.: A research tool for long-term and continuous analysis of fish assemblage in coral-reefs using underwater camera footage. Ecol. Inf. 1–23 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.EGLO: 92065 \(|\) LED STRIPES-FLEX. http://www.eglo.com/eglo_global/Products/Main-Collections/Interior-Lighting/LED-STRIPES-FLEX/92065
- 4.Fabic, J.N., Turla, I.E., Capacillo, J.A., David, L.T., Naval, P.C.: Fish population estimation and species classification from underwater video sequences using blob counting and shape analysis, pp. 1–6. IEEE, March 2013Google Scholar
- 5.Foundation, P.: Raspberry Pi 2, Model B. https://www.adafruit.com/pdfs/raspberrypi2modelb.pdf
- 6.Foundation, P.: Raspberry Pi Camera. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/camera.md
- 7.Khanfar, H., et al.: Automatic fish counting in underwater video. In: 66th Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute, pp. 1–9, November 2013Google Scholar
- 9.Qader, H.A., Ramli, A.R., Al-haddad, S.: Fingerprint recognition using zernike moments (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Martins, S., et al.: Toward an Integrated Zebrafish Health Management Program Supporting Cancer and Neuroscience Research (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Spampinato, C., et al.: Detecting, tracking and counting fish in low quality unconstrained underwater videos. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP), pp. 514–519 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Toh, Y.H., Ng, T.M., Liew, B.K.: Automated fish counting using image processing, pp. 1–5. IEEE, December 2009Google Scholar
- 14.Zivkovic, Z.: Improved adaptive Gaussian mixture model for background subtraction, vol.2, pp. 28–31. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar