Reconstructing Positive Surveys from Negative Surveys with Background Knowledge
Negative Survey is a promising technique for collecting sensitive data. Using the negative survey, useful aggregate information could be estimated, while protecting personal privacy. Previous work mainly focuses on improving the general model of the negative survey without considering background knowledge. However, in real-world applications, data analysts usually have some background knowledge on the surveys. Therefore, in this paper, for the first time, we study the usage of background knowledge in negative surveys, and propose a method for accurately reconstructing positive surveys with background knowledge. Moreover, we propose a method for evaluating the dependable level of the positive survey reconstructed with background knowledge. Experimental results show that more reasonable and accurate positive surveys could be obtained using our methods.
KeywordsPrivacy protection Sensitive data collection Negative survey Background knowledge
This work is partly supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61175045).
- 3.Esponda, F.: Negative surveys (2006). arXiv:math/0608176
- 6.Horey, J., Groat, M., Forrest, S., Esponda, F.: Anonymous data collection in sensor networks. In: The Fourth Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services, Philadelphia, USA, pp. 1–8 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Groat, M.M., Edwards, B., Horey, J., Wenbo, H., Forrest, S.: Enhancing privacy in participatory sensing applications with multidimensional data. In: The 2012 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2012), Lugano, pp. 144–152 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Horey, J., Forrest, S., Groat, M.M.: Reconstructing spatial distributions from anonymized locations. In: The 2012 IEEE 28th International Conference on Data Engineering Workshops (ICDEW), Arlington, VA, pp. 243–250 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Lu, Y., Luo, W., Zhao, D.: Fast searching optimal negative surveys. In: Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference of Information and Network Security (ICINS 2014), Beijing, China, pp. 172–180 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Bao, Y.: Research on some problems of negative survey. Master’s thesis, Department of Computer Science and Technology, University of Science and Technology of China (2013) (in Chinese)Google Scholar