Visualization of Heat Transfer Using Projector-Based Spatial Augmented Reality
Thermal imaging cameras, commonly used in application areas such as building inspection and night vision, have recently also been introduced as pedagogical tools for helping students visualize, interrogate and interpret notoriously challenging thermal concepts. In this paper we present a system for Spatial Augmented Reality that automatically projects thermal data onto objects. Instead of having a learner physically direct a hand-held camera toward an object of interest, and then view the display screen, a group of participants can gather around the display system and directly see and manipulate the thermal profile projected onto physical objects. The system combines a thermal camera that captures the thermal data, a depth camera that realigns the data with the objects, and a projector that projects the data back. We also apply a colour scale tailored for room temperature experiments.
KeywordsSpatial Augmented Reality Thermal imaging Real-time projection mapping Science education
We thank Anna-Karin Lindblom, Product Manager at FLIR Systems AB, for supporting this work. We also thank Dr. Fredrik Jeppsson, Linköping University, for the loan of a FLIR E4 camera, and Dr. Jesper Haglund for useful discussions.
- 1.Benko, H., Wilson, A.D., Zannier, F.: Dyadic projected spatial augmented reality. In: Proceedings of The ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), pp. 645–655 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Blake, J., Kerl, C., Echtler, F., Xiang, L.: libfreenect2: Open-source library for kinect v2 depth camera. Zenodo, January 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.45314
- 4.Gladyszewski, S.: Argile et lumière — clay and light (2016). https://vimeo.com/152905116
- 5.Gladyszewski, S., Burton, A., Ricard, J., Grenier, É.: Live thermal video projection system (2013). https://vimeo.com/60292952. accessed 12 Feb 2016
- 6.Haglund, J., Jeppsson, F., Hedberg, D., Schönborn, K.J.: Students framing of laboratory exercises using infrared cameras. Phys. Rev. ST Phys. Educ. Res. 11(2) (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Kawamoto, K.: Thermaltable, December 2014. http://kenkawamoto-works.tumblr.com/post/106298696083/thermaltable-2014-dec-link-using-flir-one-an
- 10.Lee, J., Dietz, P.H., Maynes-Aminzade, D., Raskar, R., Hudson, S.: Automatic projector calibration with embedded light sensors. In: Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), October 2004Google Scholar
- 11.Raskar, R., Welch, G., Fuchs, H.: Spatial augmented reality. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Augmented Reality (1998)Google Scholar