Mobile User Experience in Augmented Reality vs. Maps Interfaces: A Case Study in Public Transportation
This article comprises a study on user experience when interacting with different modes of mobile interfaces. Our emphasis is on application instances commonly found in mobile app stores, which utilize sensor-based augmented reality or two-dimensional zoomable maps to visualize points of interest (POIs) in the vicinity of the user. As a case study, we developed two variants of an Android application addressed to public transportation users. The application displays nearby transit stops along with timetable information of transit services passing-by those stops. We report findings drawn from an empirical field study in real outdoors conditions. The evaluation findings have been cross-checked with logged (usage) data. We aim at eliciting knowledge about user requirements related to mobile application interfaces in this context and evaluating user experience from pragmatic and affective viewpoints.
KeywordsAugmented reality Map interface Public transportation Mobile application User experience User evaluation
This work has been supported by the CIP-ICT-PSP-2013-2017 Programme under grant agreement no. 621133 (HoPE - “Holistic Personal public Eco-mobility”).
- 2.Jacobson, R.D.: Navigating maps with little or no sight: an audio-tactile approach. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Content Visualization and Intermedia Representations (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Nurminen, A., Järvi, J., Lehtonen, M.: A mixed reality interface for real time tracked public transportation. In: Proceedings of the 10th ITS European Congress (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Olsson, T., Kärkkäinen, T., Lagerstam, E., Ventä-Olkkonen, L.: User evaluation of mobile augmented reality scenarios. J. Ambient Intell. Smart Environ. 4(1), 29–47 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Setlur, V., Kuo, C., Mikelsons, P.: Towards designing better map interfaces for the mobile: experiences from example. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference and Exhibition on Computing for Geospatial Research & Application (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Yovcheva, Z., Buhalis, D., Gatzidis, C.: Smartphone augmented reality applications for tourism. e-Review Tourism Res. (eRTR) 10(2), 63–66 (2012)Google Scholar