A Calculus for Local Reversibility
We introduce a process calculus with a new prefixing operator that allows us to model locally controlled reversibility. Actions can be undone spontaneously, as in other reversible process calculi, or as pairs of concerted actions, where performing a weak action forces undoing of another action. The new operator in its full generality allows us to model out-of-causal order computation, where effects are undone before their causes are undone, which goes beyond what typical reversible calculi can express. However, the core calculus, with a restricted form of the new operator, is well behaved as it satisfied causal consistency. We demonstrate the usefulness of the calculus by modelling the hydration of formaldehyde in water into methanediol, an industrially important reaction, where the creation and breaking of some bonds are examples of locally controlled out-of-causal order computation.
KeywordsReversible process calculi Local reversibility Modelling of chemical reactions
The authors acknowledge partial support of COST Action IC1405 on Reversible Computation - extending horizons of computing.
- 2.Cardelli, L., Laneve, C.: Reversible structures. In: 9th International Conference on Computational Methods in Systems Biology, pp. 131–140. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Cristescu, I., Krivine, J., Varacca, D.: A compositional semantics for the reversible pi-calculus. In: Proceedings of LICS 2013, pp. 388–397. IEEE, Computer Society (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Danos, V., Krivine, J.: Formal molecular biology done in CCS-R. In: Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Concurrent Models in Molecular Biology BioConcur 2003, ENTCS, vol. 180, pp. 31–49 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Ulidowski, I.: Equivalences on observable processes. In: Proceedings of LICS 1992, pp. 148–159. IEEE, Computer Science Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 18.Ulidowski, I., Phillips, I., Yuen, S.: Concurrency and reversibility. In: Yamashita, S., Minato, S. (eds.) RC 2014. LNCS, vol. 8507, pp. 1–14. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar