An Adaptive Research Support System for Students in Higher Education: Beyond Logging and Tracking
In this paper, we focus on design for an adaptive research support system that provides support for research activities of students in higher education, as well as improving the research skills of the students. Research activity is one of the core activities of institutions of higher education and it is with this in mind that we propose an adaptive research support system to improve the research skills of students. Research skills include such generic skills as planning and scheduling, communication and presentation; and specific skills such as trend analysis, problem definition and data analysis. We present a general way to improve research skills of students by adaptation, achieved through coaching and scaffolding supports using information gained from archived laboratory knowledge.
KeywordsAdaptation Research support system Research skills Coaching Scaffolding
This work is supported in part by Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) (No. 26330395) from the Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture of Japan.
- Bandara, W., Miskon, S., Fielt, E.: A systematic, tool-supported method for conducting literature reviews in information systems. In: 19th European Conference on Information Systems. QUT Digital Repository, Helsinki, Finland (2011)Google Scholar
- Collins, A., Brown, J.S., Newman, S.E.: Cognitive apprenticeship: teaching the crafts of reading, writing, and mathematics. Knowing Learning Instr. Essays Honor Robert Glaser 18, 32–42 (1989)Google Scholar
- Fankfort-Nachmias, C., Nachmias, D.: Research Methods in the Social Sciences, 4th edn. St. Martin’s, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- Hasegawa, S., Yamane, K.: An article/presentation revising support system for transferring laboratory knowledge. In: 19th International Conference on Computers in Education, pp. 247–254. Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education, Chiang Mai, Thailand (2011)Google Scholar
- Hasegawa, S., Mannari, K., Ooiwa, S., Kashihara, A.: a portal site for supporting research activities. In: 15th International Conference on Computers in Education, pp. 59–60. Hiroshima, Japan (2007)Google Scholar
- Kashihara, A., Shinya, M., Sawazaki, K., Taira, K.: Cognitive apprenticeship approach to developing meta-cognitive skill with cognitive tool for web-based navigational learning. In: Seventh IASTED International Conference on Web-based Education, Innsbruck, Austria (2008)Google Scholar
- Porcel, C., Lopez-Herrera, A.G., Herrera-Viedma, E.: A recommender system for research resources based on fuzzy linguistic modeling. Expert Syst. Appl. 36(3), 73–83 (2008)Google Scholar
- Showman, A., Cat, A.L., Cook, J., Holloway, N., Wittman, T.: Five essential skills for every undergraduate researcher. CUR Focus 33(3), 16–18 (2013)Google Scholar
- Yao, Y.Y.: A framework for web-based research support systems. In: Computer Software and Applications Conference, pp. 601–606. IEEE, Dallas, Texas, US (2003)Google Scholar