Spatial Conformity Research of Temporal Order Information Presentation in Visualization Design
The topic of dynamic presentation of temporal order information relates to both the node information flowing with time and the location changing in 2D space. In this paper, psychological research methods were applied to research the feasible representation method of temporal order information on the base of human cognitive characteristics. That was the research on relevance of temporal order presentation and space order presentation. We tried to study on the dynamic information presentation processes of the nodes arranged regular in horizontal linear trace. The eye-tracker recorded the performance of 30 valid subjects in different nodes skip way, horizontal moving direction and moving time. Through the analysis of accuracy and reaction time, the conclusion has been drawn that the possible presentation methods with optimal performance.
KeywordsVisualization design Temporal order Space coherence Data type compatibility
- Nguyen, P.H., Xu, K., Walker, R.: SchemaLine: timeline visualization for sensemaking. In: IEEE 18th International Conference on Information Visualisation, Paris, pp. 225–233 (2014)Google Scholar
- Crowder, R.G.: Principles of Learning and Memory, Classic edn. Psychology Press, Hove (2014)Google Scholar
- Schill, K., Baier, V., Rohrbein, F.: A hierarchical network model for the analysis of human spatio-temporal information processing. In: Conference on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging VI, San Jose, CA: Proceedings of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers, vol. 4299, pp. 615–621 (2001)Google Scholar
- Garnham, A.: Representing information in mental models. In: Cognitive Models of Memory, pp. 149–172 (1997)Google Scholar
- Tam, K.Y., Ho, S.Y.: Understanding the impact of web personalization on user information processing and decision outcomes. J. MIS Q. 30(4), 865–890 (2006)Google Scholar