Dynamic Traffic Light Control System Based on Process Synchronization Among Connected Vehicles
Vehicular traffic is tremendously increasing around the world, especially in large urban areas. The resulting congestion has become a key issue and emerging research topic to transportation specialist and decision makers. In this study, inspired by recent advanced vehicle technologies, we take into account in improving traffic flow in real-time problem. In order to solve the problem, we propose a new approach to manage traffic flow at the intersection in real-time via controlling by traffic light scheduling. In particular, the proposed method is based on process synchronization theory and connected vehicle technology where each vehicle is able to communicate with others. The traffic deadlock is also taken into consideration in case of high traffic volume. The simulation shows the potential results comparing with the existing traffic management system.
KeywordsConnected vehicles Process synchronization Intelligent transportation systems Real-time processing Intersection management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Directive 2010/40/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of July 7, 2010Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, X., Shi, Z.: Real-coded genetic algorithm for signal timings optimization of a signal intersection. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Lai, Y., Zheng, Y., Cao, J.: Protocols for traffic safety using wireless sensor network. In: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4494, pp. 37–48 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Iqbal, Z.: Self-organizing wireless sensor networks for inter-vehicle communication. Master Thesis, Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering, Halmstad University (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Khalil, M.Y., Jamal, N.A., Ali, M.S.: Intelligent Traffic Light Flow Control System Using Wireless Sensors Networks. Journal of Information Science and Engineering 26, 753–768 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhou, B., Cao, J., Zeng, X., Wu, H.: Adaptive traffic light control in wireless sensor network-based intelligent transportation system. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference Fall, September 2010Google Scholar
- 13.Bento, L.C., Parafita, R., Santos, S., Nunes, U.: Intelligent traffic management at intersections: legacy mode for vehicles not equipped with V2V and V2I communications. In: Proceedings of the 16th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation System (ITSC 2013), Netherlands (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Silberschatz, A., Galvin, P., Gagne, G.: Operating System Concepts. John Wiley and Sons, INC., p. 260. ISBN 0-471-25060-0 (2003)Google Scholar