An Interface Analysis Method of Complex Information System by Introducing Error Factors
With the rapid developments of computer technology and information technology, human-machine interfaces of aircrafts, ships, nuclear power plants, battlefield command system, and other complex information systems have evolved from the traditional control mode to digital control mode with visual information interface. This paper studies error factors of information interface in human-computer interaction based on visual cognition theory. A feasible error-cognition model is established to solve some design problems which result in serious failures in information recognition and analysis, and even in operation and execution processes. Based on Rasmussen, Norman, Reason and other error types as well as the HERA and CREAM failure identification models, we performed classification and cognitive characterization for error factors according to information search, information recognition, information identification, information selection and judgment as well as the decision-making process and obtained the comprehensive error-cognition model for complex information interface.
KeywordsError factors Design factors Human-computer interface Interaction Visual cognition Error-cognition model
This work was supported by Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Grant No. 2015B22714), science and technology projects of Changzhou (CJ20140033), the Project of Philosophy and Social Science Research in Colleges and Universities in Jiangsu Province (2014SJD065).
- Hollnagel, E.: Cognitive Reliability and Error Analysis Method. Elsevier science Ltd, Oxford (1998)Google Scholar
- Li, L.: Human Computer Interface Design. Science Press, Beijing (2004). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Norman, D.A.: The psychology of everyday things. Basic books (1988)Google Scholar
- Rasmussen, J.: Informaiton processing and human machine interaction: an approach to cognitive engineering. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1986)Google Scholar
- Swain, A.D., Guttmann, H.E.: Handbook of Human Reliability Analysis with Emphasis on Nuclear Power Plant Applications. NUREG/CR-1278, Nuclear regulatory commission, Washington, DC (1983)Google Scholar
- Wu, X., Xue, C., Niu, Y., Tang, W.: Study on eye movements of information omission/misjudgment in radar situation-interface. In: Harris, D. (ed.) EPCE 2014. LNCS, vol. 8532, pp. 407–418. Springer, Heidelberg (2014a)Google Scholar
- Wu, X., Xue, C., Feng, Z.: Misperception model-based analytic method of visual interface design factors. In: Harris, D. (ed.) EPCE 2014. LNCS, vol. 8532, pp. 284–292. Springer, Heidelberg (2014b)Google Scholar
- Wu, X.: Study on error-cognition mechanism of task interface in complex in formation system. School of Mechanical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing (2015). (in Chinese)Google Scholar