Assessment of Expert Interaction with Multivariate Time Series ‘Big Data’
‘Big data’ is a phrase that has gained much traction recently. It has been defined as ‘a broad term for data sets so large or complex that traditional data processing applications are inadequate and there are challenges with analysis, searching and visualization’ . Many domains struggle with providing experts accurate visualizations of massive data sets so that the experts can understand and make decisions about the data e.g., [2, 3, 4, 5].
Abductive reasoning is the process of forming a conclusion that best explains observed facts and this type of reasoning plays an important role in process and product engineering. Throughout a production lifecycle, engineers will test subsystems for critical functions and use the test results to diagnose and improve production processes.
This paper describes a value-driven evaluation study  for expert analyst interactions with big data for a complex visual abductive reasoning task. Participants were asked to perform different tasks using a new tool, while eye tracking data of their interactions with the tool was collected. The participants were also asked to give their feedback and assessments regarding the usability of the tool. The results showed that the interactive nature of the new tool allowed the participants to gain new insights into their data sets, and all participants indicated that they would begin using the tool in its current state.
KeywordsBig data Eye tracking Evaluation study Knowledge elicitation
Sandia National Laboratories is a multi-program laboratory managed and operated by Sandia Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Lockheed Martin Corporation, for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration under contract DE-AC04-94AL85000. SAND NO. 2016-1724C. This work was funded by Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD).
- 1.Wikipedia, Accessed on Dec 2015Google Scholar
- 3.Ayhan, S., Pesce, J., Comitz, P., Sweet, D., Bliesner, S., Gerberick, G.: Predictive analytics with aviation big data. In: Integrated Communications, Navigation and Surveillance Conference (ICNS), pp. 1–13. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Katal, A., Wazid, M., Goudar, R.H.: Big data: issues, challenges, tools and good practices. In: IEEE Sixth International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3), pp. 404–409 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Stasko, J.: Value-driven evaluation of visualizations. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on Beyond Time and Errors: Novel Evaluation Methods for Visualization, pp. 46–53. ACM, November 2014Google Scholar
- 9.Martin, S., Quach, T-T.: Interactive visualization of multivariate time series data. In: HCII 2016 Proceedings (2016)Google Scholar