Multi-sensory Cyber-Physical Therapy System for Elderly Monitoring
This paper provides an overview of a multi-sensory cyber-physical therapy system suitable for old age people with physical impairments, which integrates entities in the physical as well as cyber world for therapy sensing, therapeutic data computation, interaction between cyber and physical world, and in-home therapy support through a cloud-based big data architecture. To provide appropriate therapeutic services and environment, the CPS uses a multi-modal multimedia sensory framework to support therapy recording and playback of a therapy session and visualization of effectiveness of an assigned therapy. The physical world interaction with the cyber world is stored as a rich gesture semantics with the help of multiple media streams, which is then uploaded to a tightly synchronized cyber physical cloud environment for deducing real-time and historical whole-body Range of Motion (ROM) kinematic data.
KeywordsTherapy CPS Multimedia sensors Gesture recognition In-home therapy
This project was supported by the NSTIP strategic technologies program (11-INF1703-10) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The author would also like to thank Ahmad Qamar of UQU and Syed Abdullah, Delwar Hossain of NGMLab for helping in demo and usability testing.
- 1.Anderson, S.A., Blandine, C.-G.: Anatomy of Movement. Eastland Press, Chicago (1993). ISBN 0-939616-17-3Google Scholar
- 4.Baran, M., Lehrer, N., Siwiak, D., Chen, Y., Duff, M., Ingalls, T., Rikakis, T.: Design of a home-based adaptive mixed reality rehabilitation system for stroke survivors. In: 2011 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, pp. 7602–7605. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.World Health Organization Annual Report 2015 on Ageing. Accessed 6 Mar 2016. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/186463/1/9789240694811_eng.pdf?ua=1
- 6.Rahman, M.A.: Gesture-based cyber-physical in-home therapy system in a big data environment. In: ACM/IEEE 7th International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS), Vienna, Austria, 11–14 April 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Qamar, A., Murad, A., Rahman, M.A., Ur Rehman, F., Ahmad, A., Sadiq, B., Basalamah, S.: A multi-sensory gesture-based login environment. In: ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM Multimedia 2015), Brisbane, Australia, 26–30 October 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Qamar, A.M., Rahman, M.A., Hussain, S.O., Sadiq, B., Khan, A.R., Basalamah, S.: A multimedia big data e-therapy framework. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Big Data (BigMM 2015), Beijing, China, 20–22 April 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Don, S., Dugki, M.: Medical cyber physical systems and bigdata platforms. In: Proceedings of the Medical Cyber Physical Systems Workshop, Philadelphia, PA, USA (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Rahman, M.A.: Multi-sensor serious game-based therapy environment for Hemiplegic patients. Int. J. Distrib. Sens. Netw. 2014, Article 910482 (2014). Advances in Multimedia Sensor Networks for Health-Care and Related Applications (AMS), Hindawi Publishing CorporationGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rahman, M.A.: Multimedia environment toward analyzing and visualizing live kinematic data for children with Hemiplegia. Multimedia Tools Appl., 1–25 (2014). Springer, USA. doi: 10.1007/s11042-014-1864-y
- 15.Chang, C., Lange, B., Zhang, M., Koenig, S., Requejo, P., Somboon, N., Sawchuk, A.A., Rizzo, A.A.: Towards pervasive physical rehabilitation using microsoft kinect. In: International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth), San Diego, California, USA (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Rahman, M.A.: Multimedia non-invasive hand therapy monitoring system. In: IEEE International Symposium on Medical Measurements and Applications (IEEE MeMeA 2014), Lisbon, Portugal, 11–12 June 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Rahman, M.A., Hossain, D., Qamar, A.M., Ur Rehman, F., Toonsi, A.H., Ahmed, M., El Saddik, A., Basalamah, S.: A low-cost serious game therapy environment with inverse kinematic feedback for children having physical disability. In: ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ACM ICMR 2014), Glasgow, UK, 1–4 April 2014 (2014)Google Scholar