Effects of Playing Mobile Games While Driving
The use of smartphones while driving is a growing phenomenon that has reached alarming proportions. Playing games is a particular type of activity performed by drivers on their smartphones and is the subject of this paper. The study that was con-ducted aimed at investigating the influence of playing games on a smartphone while driving in a virtual reality simulator. The driver’s eye glance behavior has been analyzed for twelve subjects while driving in two environments, city and country (national) road. A reference set of data obtained by driving without the gaming distraction has been used for performing a comparison and drawing conclusions. The results have indicated increased accident risks when playing games, especially caused by loss of control of the vehicle and improper lane positioning due to the driver being distracted by the game played.
KeywordsSmartphone Mobile gaming Driving Driving simulator Accident risk Driving performance
This paper is supported by the Romanian Government, specifically MEN – UEFISCDI authority under the program PNII “Partnerships in priority areas”, under the project number 240⁄2014 - NAVIEYES, supporting the collaboration between the company Route 66 and University Transilvania of Brașov.
- 6.Hatuka, T., Toch, E.: Smart-spaces: smartphone’s influence on perceptions of the public space. Toch Research Group, Tel-Aviv University (2012). http://www.aftau.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16519
- 8.Smartphone Use Behind the Wheel Survey. AT&T, May 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Big fish games site. http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/2014-global-gaming-stats-whos-playing-what-and-why/
- 11.Distracted driving site. http://www.distraction.gov/
- 12.Regan, M.A., Lee, J.D., Victor, T.W.: Driver Distraction and Inattention: Advances in Research and Countermeasures, vol. 1. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., Burlington (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Yannis, G., Papathanasiou, E., Postantzi, E., Papadimitriou, E.: Impact of mobile phone use and music on driver behaviour and safety by the use of a driving simulator. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Driver Distraction and Innatentio, 17pp (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Nykänen, A.: Testing of mobile apps intended for use while driving. In: AstaZero Researchers Day – Emerging Trends in Active Safety for Road Vehicles Symposium, 14 April 2015Google Scholar
- 19.NaviEyes research project site. http://navieyes.unitbv.ro