Conclusions: The Willing, the Cautious, and the Ambivalent
The book concludes by dividing the countries studied into three groups: the willing, the cautious, and the ambivalent, according to their willingness to participate in the operations studied. The chapter asserts that the normative frameworks of the strategic cultures explain decisions to participate or not in international military operations, and how such decisions are justified. The regulatory frameworks decide how quickly such decisions can be taken, which in turn might affect willingness to participate if the domestic process is outpaced by a rapid international process. The findings of the book are also used to analyse the first six months of air raids in Iraq after the Iraqi government asked the USA and its allies for help to fight the Islamic State/Daesh in the summer of 2014.
KeywordsArmed Force Security Council International Operation Normative Framework Security Council Resolution
The author is deeply indebted to research assistants David Rangdahl and Thomas Olsson for help with information in comparing how the different countries have participated in the operations studied in the chapters of the book, and for compiling information on our ‘reference case’—the beginning of air strikes in Iraq in 2014. Some sections in this chapter rely on their hard work.
- Angstrom, Jan. 2013. The changing norms of civil and military and civil-military relations theory. Small Wars & Insurgencies 24(2):224-236.Google Scholar
- Ansa. 2014a. Italy to send 280 instructors to Iraq. Ansa en Politics, 16 Oct 2014. https://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2014/10/16/italy-to-send-280-instructors-to-iraq_c52a8173-b55b-478d-8c45-192fc2f07243.html
- ———. 2014b. Iraq hails Italy support against ISIS. Anza en Politics, 23 Dec 2014. http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2014/12/23/iraq-hails-italy-support-against-isis_7f293b71-4312-4321-b67e-3f9fe48a645d.html
- BBC. 2014a. UK planes to drop emergency aid to Iraqi refugees. BBC News, 9 Aug 2014. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28701642
- ———. 2014b. France launches first air strikes on IS in Iraq. BBC News, 19 Sep 2014. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29277630
- ———. 2014c. Germany to supply arms to Kurds fighting IS in Iraq. BBC News, September 1, 2014. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29012159
- Bundeswehr. 2014. Transporte abgeschlossen, Material ubergeben—Einweisungen gehen weiter. 4 Nov 2014. http://www.einsatz.bundeswehr.de/portal/a/einsatzbw/!ut/p/c4/LYtBC4JAEIX_0Y5LxVI3xUt0skvZRVYdZEhnZZxNkH58K_QefPD4ePCCVPYfGrxSYD_CE-qOLu1q2rXHBokXr1uakRVl0Yi6RR4aEv-Gx_7u0XSBUXcqslLiIF6DmDmIjruJIskY6qHObFlYd8z-sd9zdcvdybpDeS3uME9T_gN5x1qS/.
- ———. 2015. Der Bundeswehr Einsatz Am Horn von Afrika. Aktuelle Einsätze. http://www.einsatz.bundeswehr.de/portal/a/einsatzbw/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP3I5EyrpHK9pPKU1PjUzLzixJIqIDcxu6Q0NScHKpRaUpWqV5yfm5iTmaiXmZeWHw_l6BdkOyoCAKLz-AE!/. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- Deutche Welle. 2014. German cabinet agrees to send troops to train Iraqi Kurds. Deutsche Welle. 17 Dec 2014. http://www.dw.de/german-cabinet-agrees-to-send-troops-to-train-iraqi-kurds/a-18136604
- Drennan, Justine. 2014. Who Has Contributed What in the Coalition Against the Islamic State? Foreign Policy. 12 Nov 2014. http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/11/12/who-has-contributed-what-in-the-coalition-against-the-islamic-state/
- Embassy of France in the UK. 2014a. France and its partners coordinating efforts in Iraq, 8 Aug 2014. http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Foreign-Minister-deeply-concerned
- ——— 2014b. France will send weapons to Kurds in Iraq, 12 Aug 2014. http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/France-will-send-weapons-to-Kurds.
- Euronews. 2014. Germany train Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. Euronews. 7 Oct 2014. http://www.euronews.com/2014/10/07/germany-trains-kurdish-peshmerga-fighters/
- European Union External Action. 2012. French Navy Falcon 50M Relieved by Maritime Patrol Aircraft Atlantique 2. EU-NAVFOR Somalia. http://eunavfor.eu/french-navy-falcon-50m-relieved-by-maritime-patrol-aircraft-atlantique-2/. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- ———. 2014. Italian Air Force Completes Its First Remote Controlled Aircraft Sortie for Operation Atalanta. EU-NAVFOR Somalia. http://www.eeas.europa.eu/csdp/missions-and-operations/eu-navfor-somalia/news/20140911_1_en.htm. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- European Union External Action. n.d.. Operation Description. EU-NAVFOR Somalia. http://eeas.europa.eu/csdp/missions-and-operations/eu-navfor-somalia/mission-description/index_en.htm. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- Feaver, Peter D. 2013. Epilogue: Coordinating actors in complex operations and a third way to study two familiar dualities. Small Wars & Insurgencies, 24:2, 370-372.Google Scholar
- Gebauer, Matthias. 2011 The War in Libya: Are German Soldiers Secretly Helping Fight Gadhafi? Spiegel Online. http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/the-war-in-libya-are-german-soldiers-secretly-helping-fight-gadhafi-a-781197.html. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- Government of the UK. 2014a. David Cameron Statement on Iraq. Press release, Prime Minister’s Office. 8 Aug 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-statement-on-iraq.
- ——— 2014b. Emergency UK aid for displaced people in Iraq. Press release, Department for International Development. August 8. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/emergency-uk-aid-for-displaced-people-in-iraq.
- ——— 2014c. Threat level from international terrorism raised: PM press statement. Speech, Prime Minister’s Office. 29 Aug 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/threat-level-from-international-terrorism-raised-pm-press-conference.
- ——— 2014d. Downing Street statement on recall of Parliament. News story, Prime Minister’s Office. 24 Sep 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/downing-street-statement-on-recall-of-parliament
- ——— 2014e. Motion on support for Iraq. Guidance, Prime Minister’s Office. 25 Sep 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/military-action-in-iraq-against-isil-government-legal-position/motion-on-support-for-iraq
- ——— 2014f. RAF conducts first air strikes of Iraq mission. News story, Prime Minister’s Office. 30 Sep 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/raf-conducts-first-air-strikes-of-iraq-mission--2
- ——— 2014g. COBR meeting on Iraq. News story, Prime Minister’s Office. 12 Aug 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cobr-meeting-on-iraq-12-august-2014
- ——— 2014h. Our approach to the threat posed by ISIL. Authored article, Prime Minister’s Office. 16 Aug 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/our-approach-to-the-threat-posed-by-isil-article-by-david-cameron
- ——— 2014i. UK deploys Reaper to the Middle East. News story, Ministry of Defence. 16 Oct 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-deploys-reaper-to-the-middle-east
- ——— 2014j. Foreign secretary announces UK funded training to support Kurdish fighters. Press release, Foreign & Commonwealth Office. 13 Oct 2014 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-secretary-announces-uk-funded-training-to-support-kurdish-fighters
- ——— 2014k. Surveillance missions over Syria. News story, Ministry of Defence. 21 Oct 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/surveillance-missions-over-syria-confirmed.
- ——— 2014l. Latest: air strikes in Iraq. News story, Ministry of Defence. 6 Jan 2015. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/latest-iraq-air-strikes#history
- Hentsch, Franziska. 2014. German military gear delivered to Iraqi Kurds. Deutsche Welle. 5 Sep 2014. http://www.dw.de/german-military-gear-delivered-to-iraqi-kurds/a-17903253.
- House of Commons Debates. 2014. Iraq: Coalition Against ISIL. 26 Sep 2014. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmhansrd/cm140926/debindx/140926-x.htm.
- Huntington, Samuel P. 1957. The SOLDIER and the STATE. The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations. New York: Vintage books.Google Scholar
- International Security Assistance Force. 2007. ISAF Facts and Figures: Placemat 02 January 2007. http://www.nato.int/isaf/placemats_archive/2007-01-29-ISAF-Placemat.pdf.
- ———. 2009a. ISAF Facts and Figures: Placemat 22 December 2009. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2009_2014/documents/sede/dv/sede250110natoisaffigures_/SEDE250110NATOISAFFigures_EN.pdf.
- ———. 2009b. ISAF Regional Command Structure. ISAF Topics. http://www.nato.int/isaf/structure/regional_command/index.html. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- ———. 2010. ISAF Facts and Figures: Placemat 14 December 2010. http://www.rs.nato.int/images/stories/File/Placemats/14DEC%202010%20Placemat.pdf.
- ———. 2011a. ISAF Facts and Figures: Placemat 04 March 2011. http://www.nato.int/isaf/placemats_archive/2011-03-04-ISAF-Placemat.pdf.
- ———. 2011b. Nota Aggiuntiva Allo Stato Di Previsione per La Difesa per L’anno 2011. http://www.difesa.it/Approfondimenti/Nota-aggiuntiva/Documents/NA2011edMarzo.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- ———. 2013. ISAF Facts and Figures: Placemat 01 August 2013. http://www.nato.int/isaf/placemats_archive/2013-08-01-ISAF-Placemat.pdf.
- March, James G. and Olsen, Johan P. (1998) ‘The Institutional Dynamics of International Political Orders’ International Organization 52, 4, Autumn pp-943-969.Google Scholar
- Ministère de la Défense. 2014. Chammal: point de situation du 26 décembre 2014. 27 Dec 2014. http://www.defense.gouv.fr/operations/actualites/chammal-point-de-situation-du-26-decembre-2014
- Ministero della Difesa. 2005. Nota Aggiuntiva Allo Stato Di Previsione per La Difesa per L’anno 2005. http://www.difesa.it/Content/Documents/nota_aggiuntiva/86808_NotaAggiuntiva2005.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- Ministry of Defence of Italy. 2014. Italian Air Force: a KC-767A aircraft completes first refueling operations in support of the anti-ISIS Coalition. Highlights. 29 Oct 2014. http://www.difesa.it/EN/Primo_Piano/Pagine/20141029_ItalianAirForceaKC-767Aaircraftcompletesfirstrefuelingoperationsinsupportoftheanti-ISISCoalition.aspx
- Mirow, Wilhelm. 2009. Strategic Culture Matters. A comparison of German and British military interventions since 1990, Forschungsberichte Internationale Politik 38. Berlin: Lit Verlag.Google Scholar
- Perito, Robert M. 2005. US Experience with Provincial Reconstruction Teams in Afghanistan: Lessons Identified. http://www.usip.org/sites/default/files/sr152.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2015.
- Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2014a. Polish humanitarian aid airlifted to Iraqi Kurdistan. Press Office. 18 Aug 2014. http://www.msz.gov.pl/en/news/polish_humanitarian_aid:airlifted_to_iraqi_kurdistan
- ———. 2014b. Poland helps refugees in Iraq. MFA Press Spokesman. 16 Nov 2014. http://www.msz.gov.pl/en/news/poland_helps_refugees_in_iraq
- ———. 2014c. Poland helps pupils in Iraqi Kurdistan. Press Office. 1 Dec 2014. http://www.msz.gov.pl/en/news/poland_helps_pupils_in_iraqi_kurdistan
- Resolute-Support NATO. 2015. Afghan National Army Troops Receive Vital Training. RS News. http://www.rs.nato.int/article/news/afghan-national-army-troops-receive-vital-training.html. Accessed 17 July 2015. See also: http://www.dw.de/german-weapons-deliveries-to-iraqs-kurdish-region/a-17892161.
- The White House. Statement by the President. Office of the Press Secretary. 7 Aug 2014a. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/07/statement-president.
- The White House. Weekly Address: American Operations in Iraq. Office of the Press Secretary. 9 Aug 2014b. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/09/weekly-address-american-operations-iraq
- United Nations Security Council. 2001. Resolution 1386. http://daccess-ods.un.org/access.nsf/Get?Open&DS=S/RES/1386%20(2001)&Lang=E&Area=UNDOC.
- ———. 2011. Resolution 1973. http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=S/RES/1973.
- United States Department of Defence. 2002. International Contributions to the War Against Terrorism: Fact Sheet. http://www.defense.gov/news/May2002/d20020523cu.pdf.
- UNSCR 2170. 201415 Aug. http://www.un.org/press/en/2014/sc11520.doc.htm.
- USAID. 2015. Provincial Reconstruction Teams. USAID. http://www.usaid.gov/provincial-reconstruction-teams. Accessed 17 July 2015.