Challenges in Managing Real-Time Data in Health Information System (HIS)
In this paper, we have discussed the challenges in handling real-time medical big data collection and storage in health information system (HIS). Based on challenges, we have proposed a model for real-time analysis of medical big data. We exemplify the approach through Spark Streaming and Apache Kafka using the processing of health big data Stream. Apache Kafka works very well in transporting data among different systems such as relational databases, Apache Hadoop and non-relational databases. However, Apache Kafka lacks analyzing the stream, Spark Streaming framework has the capability to perform some operations on the stream. We have identified the challenges in current real-time systems and proposed our solution to cope with the medical big data streams.
KeywordsStream processing framework Health-care Information System (HIS) Kafka messaging
This work was supported by the Industrial Core Technology Development Program (10049079, Develop of mining core technology exploiting personal big data) funded by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE, Korea) and This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (2011-0030079). This research work was also supported by Zayed University Research Initiative Fund R15098.
- 4.Zaharia, M., Das, T., Li, H., Shenker, S., Stoica, I.: Discretized streams: an efficient and fault-tolerant model for stream processing on large clusters. In: Proceedings of the 4th USENIX Conference on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing, HotCloud 2012, Berkeley, CA, USA, p. 10. USENIX Association (2012). http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2342763.2342773
- 9.Olston, C., Reed, B., Srivastava, U., Kumar, R., Tomkins, A.: Pig latin: a not-so-foreign language for data processing. In: Proceedings of the 2008 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD 2008, pp. 1099–1110. ACM, New York (2008). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1376616.1376726
- 11.Rabbi, K., Kaosar, M., Islam, M.R., Mamun, Q.: A secure real time data processing framework for personally controlled electronic health record (PCEHR) system. In: Tian, J., Jing, J., Srivatsa, M. (eds.) SecureComm 2014, pp. 141–156. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Nabi, Z., Wagle, R., Bouillet, E.: The best of two worlds: integrating IBM infosphere streams with apache YARN. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on in Big Data (Big Data), pp. 47–51. IEEE, (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Begum, M., Mamun, Q., Kaosar, M.: A privacy-preserving framework for personally controlled electronic health record (PCEHR) system (2013)Google Scholar