Micro-accounting for Optimizing and Saving Energy in Smart Buildings
Energy management, and in particular its optimization, is one of the hot trends in the current days, both at the enterprise level (optimization of whole corporate/government buildings) and single-citizens’ homes. The current trend is to provide knowledge about the micro(scopic) energy consumption. This allows to save energy, but also to optimize the different energy sources (e.g., solar vs. traditional one) in case of a mixed architecture. In this work, after briefly introducing our specific platform for smart environments able to micro-account energy consumption of devices, we present two case studies of its utilization: energy saving in offices and smart switching among different energy sources.
KeywordsMicro-accounting Energy switch OPlatform Saving
This work has been partly supported by the H2020 EU project GAIA (grant 696029). The authors would like to thanks the many persons involved in the developments described in this paper, namely Diego Cecchini, Vincenzo Forte, Rodolfo Pallotta, Silvia Ruggiero and all the other developers at Over Technologies.
- 3.Caruso, M.: Service Ecologies, Energy Management and Accessibility in Smart Homes. Ph.D. thesis, Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale A. Ruberti, Sapienza, Universit di Roma (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Ehrhardt-Martinez, K., Donnelly, K.A., Laitner, S., et al.: Advanced metering initiatives and residential feedback programs: a meta-review for household electricity-saving opportunities. American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy Washington, DC (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.EPIA the European Photovoltaic Industry Association. Self Consumption of PV electricity, July 2013Google Scholar
- 7.Han, J., Choi, C.S., Park, W.K., Lee, I.: Green home energy management system through comparison of energy usage between the same kinds of home appliances. In: 2011 IEEE 15th International Symposium on Consumer Electronics (ISCE), pp. 1–4. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Hart, D.G.: Using Am I to realize the smart grid. In: 2008 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting-Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, pp. 1–2. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Ricciardi, S., Santos-Boada, G., Careglio, D., Palmieri, F., Fiore, U.: Evaluating energy savings in WoL-enabled networks of PCs. In: Procedings of the 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE) (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Rojchaya, S., Konghirun, M.: Development of energy management and warning system for resident: An energy saving solution. In: 6th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology, 2009, ECTI-CON 2009, vol. 1, pp. 426–429. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar