“Kansei Engineering” as an Indigenous Research Field Originated in Japan
This paper reports on the overview of the research field of Kansei Engineering that originated in Japan. The paper traces back the history of the word “Kansei” and reviews its current use as an indigenous academic term specific to Japan and some Asian countries. The field of Kansei Engineering will be explained and its implication for the international use is examined, and the word “Kansei” could be used internationally more than before and it will help develop the better user interface of products and services. Kansei Engineering set a goal of improving the quality of life with comfort and enjoyment for people.
KeywordsKansei Kansei Engineering Emotion Feeling Sensibility
- 2.The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (MEIT): Kansei Value Creation Initiative (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (MEIT): Announcement of the “Kansei Value Creation Mueseum” (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.The Japanese Ministry of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT): The Center of KANSEI Innovation Nurturing Mental Wealth (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Shiizuka, H.: Kansei system framework and outlook for Kansei engineering. Kansei Eng. 6(4), 3–16 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Harada, A.: Definition of Kansei, Research papers by Tsukuba University project on Kansei evaluation structure model and the model building, pp. 41–47 (1998)Google Scholar