Understanding User Experience Journeys for a Smart Watch Device
Although a great deal of work has been done in assessing User Experience, relatively little has been done in analyzing the course of User Experience over time. In a longitudinal study of the Apple Watch*, we tracked 90 people who had pre-purchased the watch for over four months of use. In this study, we identify three categories of user journeys for a smart watch, and describe users’ most memorable episodes. We discuss how these user journeys and the memory of specific episodes relate to the overall assessment of the Apple Watch, and why some individuals stopped using their watch.
KeywordsUser experience Smart watch Longitudinal study Usability
We wish to thank our colleagues Kahyun Kim, Anne McClard, and Cindy Merrill for their help in the qualitative analysis of the responses, and John R. Hayes for statistical analysis. Also, thanks to Paul Sorenson for his ongoing support of this project.
- 1.All About UX. http://www.allaboutux.org/ux-definitions
- 2.Norman, D.: Emotional Design. Basic Books, New York (2005). ISBN 0-465-05136-7Google Scholar
- 4.Bruun, A., Ahm, S.: Mind the gap! comparing retrospective and concurrent ratings of emotion in user experience evaluation. In: Abascal, J., Barbosa, S., Fetter, M., Gross, T., Palanque, P., Winckler, M. (eds.) INTERACT 2015. LNCS, vol. 9296, pp. 237–254. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Schwarz, N., Kahneman, D., Xu, J., Belli, R., Stafford, F., Alwin, D.: Global and episodic reports of hedonic experience. In: Using Calendar and Diary Methods in Life Events Research, pp. 157–174 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Kujala, S., Miron-Shatz, T.: Emotions, experiences and usability in real-life mobile phone use. In: Proceedings of ACM CHI 2013 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, vol. 1, pp. 1061–1070, 27 April 2013Google Scholar
- 7.Karapanos, E., Zimmerman, J., Forlizzi, J., Martens, J.B.: User experience over time: an initial framework. In: Proceedings of ACM CHI 2009 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, vol. 1, pp. 729–738 04 April 2009Google Scholar
- 8.Pizza, S., Brown, B., McMillan, D., Lampinen, A.: Smartwatch in vivo. In: Proceedings of CHI 2016, San José, CA, USA (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Reichheld, F.F.: The one number you need to grow. Harvard Bus. Rev. 81, 46–54 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Grisaffe, D.B.: Questions about the ultimate question: conceptual considerations in evaluating Reichheld’s net promoter score (NPS). J. Consum. Satisf. Dissatisf. Complain. Behav. 20, 36 (2007)Google Scholar