Phase 1 of 3: Will a LinkedInTM Jr. Optimize Internships for High School STEM Students?
Popular professional online networking sites, such as LinkedIn™, Monster™, CareerBuilder®, and others, focus on traditional jobs. Increasing demand for high school internships suggests an interest for an electronic networking database pertinent to high school opportunities . In comparison to traditional methods of acquiring internships, such a database would provide increased accessibility and efficiency through an HCI conceptualized computer interface. Surveys were designed and distributed to stakeholders, an east coast, chartered high school (students grades 9–12, n = 132), businesses (n = 18), and parents (n = 143), to gather reactionary information. A Kruskal-Wallis, nonparametric algorithm found significant differences (p < 0.05) amongst the variables and eliminated errors due to a lack of homoscedasticity. The data found desirability, optimal implementation, and privacy concerns across independent variables. The degree that all stakeholders will feel comfortable in using a database to focus internship potential revolves about the efficacy, presentation, and portal attributes of the database.
KeywordsInternship High school Networking HCI Database Survey Privacy
This research was conducted at the Computer Science Department of The Charter School Of Wilmington. Special thanks to all individuals and businesses that partook in the survey and the administration of The Charter School of Wilmington for distributing the survey.
- 2.Casella, D.A., Brougham, C.E.: What works: student jobs open front doors to careers. J. Career Plann. Employ. 55, 4 (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Class of 2013: Paid Interns Outpace Unpaid Peers in Job (2013). Accessed 6 May 2015Google Scholar
- 4.College Students: You Simply Must Do an Internship (2008). Accessed 6 May 2015Google Scholar
- 5.Do Unpaid Internships Lead to Jobs? Not for College Students (2013). Accessed 8 May 2015Google Scholar
- 7.Employers, Students Benefit from High School Internships (2014). Accessed 6 May 2015Google Scholar
- 8.Intern - Definition of Intern in English from the Oxford Dictionary (2013). Accessed 1 May 2015Google Scholar
- 11.Breslin, J. G., Decker, S., O’Murchu, I.: Online Social and Business Networking Communities. DERI Technical Report 2004-08-11, pp. 8–10 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Purpose & Benefits of Internships, Singapore Management (2013). Accessed 2 June 2015Google Scholar
- 13.Radigan, J.: The role of internships in higher education. American Society for Engineering Education, 2 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.The High School Careers Study, Millennial Branding – Gen (2014). Accessed 12 May 2015Google Scholar
- 15.User Agreement, LinkedIn (2013). Accessed 6 May 2015Google Scholar
- 16.Why Are Internships So Important? - CNN.com (2010). Accessed 6 May 2015Google Scholar