The State of Near-Field Communication (NFC) on the Android Platform
- 1.6k Downloads
We analyze the Android operating system as a platform for building NFC-enabled applications. First, we briefly examine the security of NFC and provide an overview of the three modes (reader/writer, peer-to-peer, card emulation) that are exposed to developers through Android’s API. Furthermore, we present some existing Android applications using NFC, such as diagnostic tools, contactless tag manipulation tools, peer-to-peer NFC applications, as well as a few uncommon use cases. We conclude with an assessment of the completeness of Android’s NFC API and suggest a novel use case.
KeywordsNear-Field Communication Mobile device Android Application Communication
This project has been carried out with a financial support from the Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology through the specific research grant no. FIT-S-14-2299: Research and application of advanced methods in ICT.
- 1.List of nfc phones (2016). http://www.nfcworld.com/nfc-phones-list/. Accessed 28 Feb 2016
- 2.Oertel, B., Wölk, M., et al.: Security aspects and prospective applications of RFID systems. Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik, Bonn (2005). http://www.bsi.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/EN/BSI/Publications/Studies/RFID/RIKCHA_englisch_pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile Google Scholar
- 3.Haselsteiner, E., Breitfuß, K.: Security in near field communication (nfc). In: Workshop on RFID Security, RFIDSec 2006 (2006). http://events.iaik.tugraz.at/RFIDSec06/Program/papers/002%20-%20Security%20in%20NFC.pdf
- 4.Finkenzeller, K.: RFID Handbook, 3rd edn. Wiley, Hoboken (2010). ISBN 978-0-470-69506-7Google Scholar
- 5.Android developers: Near field communication. https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/nfc/nfc.html. Accessed 11 Dec 2015
- 6.Google play store. https://play.google.com/store/. Accessed 01 Jan 2016
- 7.Android developers: Host-based card emulation. https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/nfc/hce.html. Accessed 02 Jan 2016
- 8.Android developers: Sharing files with nfc. https://developer.android.com/training/beam-files/index.html. Accessed 01 Feb 2016
- 9.Jelly bean feature: Sending photos and videos over android beam. http://www.androidcentral.com/jelly-bean-feature-sending-photos-and-videos-over-android-beam. Accessed 02 Jan 2016
- 10.Octopus hong kong: Where can I use it? http://www.octopus.com.hk/get-your-octopus/where-can-i-use-it/en/index.html. Accessed 02 Jan 2016
- 11.Qué es la tarjeta bip! (Spanish). http://www.tarjetabip.cl/como-funciona.php. Accessed 02 Jan 2016