An Open Continuous Deployment Infrastructure for a Self-driving Vehicle Ecosystem
Self-driving vehicles are an ongoing research and engineering topic even though first automotive OEMs started to deploy such features to their premium vehicles. Chalmers University of Technology and University of Gothenburg are operating and maintaining a vehicle laboratory comprising 1/10 scaled cars, a Volvo XC90, and a Volvo FH truck to conduct studies with automated driving. This laboratory is used both from researchers from different disciplines and in education. The experimental software for all these platforms is powered by the same software environment for different hardware architectures. Therefore, maintaining and deploying new features and bugfixes to the users of this laboratory in a fast way needs to be organized in a reproducible yet easily maintainable manner. This paper outlines our open approach to encapsulate our build, test, and deployment process using VirtualBox, Docker, and Jenkins.
KeywordsBinary Package Deployment Process Full Flexibility Coordinate Data Exchange Docker Container
The Chalmers REVERE laboratory is supported by Chalmers University of Technology, AB Volvo, Volvo Cars, and Västra Götalandsregionen.
- [Ber10]Berger, C.: Automating Acceptance Tests for Sensor- and Actuator-based Systems on the Example of Autonomous Vehicles. Shaker Verlag, Aachener Informatik-Berichte, Software Engineering Band 6, Aachen, Germany (2010)Google Scholar
- [Ber14]Berger, C.: From a competition for self-driving miniature cars to a standardized experimental platform: concept, models, architecture, and evaluation. J. Softw. Eng. Robot. 5(1), 63–79 (2014)Google Scholar
- [Ber15]Berger, C.: Testing continuous deployment with lightweight multi-platform throw-away containers. In: Großpietsch, K.-E., Kloeckner, K. (eds.) Proceedings of the 41th EUROMICRO Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA), Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, August 2015Google Scholar
- [Fra15]Frazelle, J.: New Apt and Yum Repositories, July 2015. https://blog.docker.com/2015/07/new-apt-and-yum-repos/. Accessed 15 Jan 2016
- [WWWa]Debian Build Service. https://buildd.debian.org. Accessed 15 Jan 2016
- [WWWb]GCC Compile Farm. https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm. Accessed 15 Jan 2016
- [WWWc]Launchpad. https://launchpad.net. Accessed 15 Jan 2016
- [WWWd]OpenSuSE Build Service. http://build.opensuse.org. Accessed 15 Jan 2016