A Cost-Effective VM Offloading Scheme in Hybrid Cloud Environment
Video streaming service is offered by various content provider with cloud content delivery network like a Netflix, Youtube. In this environment, for content deliver, cache servers need to be placed properly in cost-effective manner with guaranteeing streaming performance. In this paper, as contents providers, to minimize the cost of using public cloud and to maximize performance of video streaming service, we suggest cost-effective VM offloading algorithm in hybrid cloud environment (CVOH). The CVOH considers performance degradation in internal cloud and cost for public cloud using penalty cost model and learning curve model, respectively. As the result of evaluation for CVOH, we got about twice better performance than a maximal consolidation case, and 9.1 % better than a maximal offloading case.
KeywordsVideo streaming Hybrid cloud VM placement
This research was supported by the MSIP under the ITRC (Information Technology Research Center) support program (NIPA-2014(H0301-14-1020)) supervised by the NIPA (National IT Industry Promotion Agency), and ‘The Cross-Ministry Giga KOREA Project’ grant from the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Korea.
- 1.AWS Case Study: Netflix. http://aws.amazon.com/ko/solutions/case-studies/netflix/
- 2.Google Cloud Boosting YouTube Upload Speeds. http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/02/14/googlecloud-boosting-youtube-upload-speeds/
- 3.Aggarwal, V., Gopalakrishman, V., Jana, R., Ramakrishnan, K.K., Vaishampayan, V.A.: Optimizing cloud resources for delivering IPTV services through virtualization. In: COMSNETS (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Bossche, R.V.D., Vanmechelen, K., Broeckhove, J.: Cost-optimal scheduling in hybrid IaaS clouds for deadline constrained workloads. In: CLOUD 2010Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, H., Hyeon, M., Jang, H., Youn, C.: An analysis of resource performance for inter- and intra- datacenter resource management under cloud content delivery network environment. In CIAPT (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Phoronix Test Suite. http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
- 9.Bonnie++. http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
- 10.OpenStack. http://www.openstack.org/
- 11.Amazon EC2. http://aws.amazon.com/ec2