Staffing Ratio Analysis in Primary Care Redesign: A Simulation Approach
The objective of this paper is to investigate the optimal staffing ratio under various primary clinic settings. Specifically, by using simulations, we investigate the effects of workload shift and identify the proper ratio between medical assistants (MAs) and physicians (MDs) to achieve effective and efficient service level. The results articulate that the optimal staffing ratio is achieved when the workloads of physicians and MAs are balanced.
KeywordsService Time Patient Arrival Exam Room Staffing Model Staffing Ratio
This work is partially supported by NSF Grant No. CMMI-1233807.
- Patient Centered Primary Care Implementation Work Group, US Department of Veterans Affairs. Patient-aligned care team (PACT) (2012). http://www.va.gov/PrimaryCare/docs/pcmh_ConceptPaper.doc
- Patel, M.S., Arron, M.J., Sinsky, T.A., Green, E.H., Baker, D.W., Bowen, J.L., Day, S.: Estimating the staffing infrastructure for a patient-centered medical home. Am. J. Manag. Care. 19(6), 509–516 (2013a)Google Scholar
- Berra, A. Benchmarking clinical support staff in primary care sites (2011). http://www.advisory.com/research/health-care-advisory-board/blogs/the-blueprint/2011/07/benchmarking-clinical-support-staff-in-primary-care-sites
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD): Health at a glance 2007: OECD indicators. Paris: OECD (2007)Google Scholar
- Patel, M.S., Martin, J.A., Thomas, A.S., Eric, H.G., David, W.B., Judith, L.B., Susan, D.: Estimating the staffing infrastructure for a patient-centered medical home. Am. J. Manag. Care. 19(6), 509–516 (2013b)Google Scholar
- Zhong, X., Song, J., Li, J., Ertl, S.M., Fielder, L.: Analysis and design of Gastroenterology (GI) clinic in digestive health center: a systems approach. Flex. Serv. Manuf. (2015). doi: 10.1007/s10696-015-9215-5