AUTH Regional Climate Model Contributions to EURO-CORDEX
- 1.9k Downloads
Regional climate downscaling techniques are being increasingly used to provide higher-resolution climate information than is available directly from contemporary global climate models. The Coordinated Regional Climate Downscaling Experiment (CORDEX) initiative was build to foster communication and knowledge exchange between regional climate modelers. The Department of Meteorology and Climatology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki has been contributing to the CORDEX initiative since 2010, with regional climate model simulations over the European domain (EURO-CORDEX). Results of this work are presented here, including two hindcasts and a historical simulation with the Weather Research Forecasting model (WRF), driven by ERA-interim reanalysis and the NASA Earth System Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) ModelE2, respectively. Model simulations are evaluated with the EOBS climatology and the model performance is assessed.
KeywordsRegional Climate Model Historical Simulation Regional Climate Model Simulation Precipitation Bias Weather Research Forecast
This work was supported by computational time granted from the Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) in the National HPC facility—ARIS—under project 001036. This study was financial supported by the AUTH-Research Committee program “Reinforcing research activity within AUTH-2014: AUTH-Lecturers”. We acknowledge the E-OBS data set and the data providers in the ECA&D project (http://www.ecad.eu). The model coupling NASA_GISS/WRF was performed in the framework of the project REQUA (FP7, People, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme).
- Dee DP, Uppala SM, Simmons AJ, Berrisford P, Poli P, Kobayashi S, Andrae U, Balmaseda MA, Balsamo G, Bauer P, Bechtold P, Beljaars ACM, van de Berg L, Bidlot J, Bormann N, Delsol C, Dragani R, Fuentes M, Geer AJ, Haimberger L, Healy SB, Hersbach H, Hólm EV, Isaksen L, Kållberg P, Köhler M, Matricardi M, McNally AP, Monge-Sanz BM, Morcrette J-J, Park B-K, Peubey C, de Rosnay P, Tavolato C, Thépaut J-N, Vitart F (2011) The ERA-Interim reanalysis: configuration and performance of the data assimilation system. Q J R Meteorol Soc 137:553–597CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Giorgi F, Jones C, Asrar R (2009) Addressing climate information needs at the regional level: the CORDEX framework, WMO Bull 58(3):175Google Scholar
- Katragkou E, Garciá-Diéz M, Vautard R, Sobolowski S, Zanis P, Alexandri G, Cardoso RM, Colette A, Fernandez J, Gobiet A, Goergen K, Karacostas TS, Knist S, Mayer S, Soares PMM, Pytharoulis I, Tegoulias I, Tsikerdekis A, Jacob D (2015) Regional climate hindcast simulations within EURO-CORDEX: evaluation of a WRF multi-physics ensemble. Geoscientific Model Develop 8(3):603–618Google Scholar
- Kotlarski S, Keuler K, Christensen OB, Colette A, Déqué M, Gobiet A, Goergen K, Jacob D, Lüthi D, van Meijgaard E, Nikulin G, Schär C, Teichmann C, Vautard R, Warrach-Sagi K, Wulfmeyer V (2014) Regional climate modeling on European scales: a joint standard evaluation of the EUROCORDEX RCM ensemble. Geosci Model Dev 7:1297–1333CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schmidt GA, Kelley M, Nazarenko L, Ruedy R, Russell GL, Aleinov I, Bauer M, Bauer SE, Bhat MK, Bleck R, Canuto V, Chen Y-H, Cheng Y, Clune TL, Del Genio A, De Fainchtein R, Faluvegi G, Hansen JE, Healy RJ, Kiang NY, Koch D, Lacis AA, Legrande AN, Lerner J, Lo KK, Matthews EE, Menon S, Miller RL, Oinas V, Oloso AO, Perlwitz JP, Puma MJ, Putman WM, Rind D, Romanou A, Sato M, Shindell DT, Sun S, Syed RA, Tausnev N, Tsigaridis K, Unger N, Voulgarakis A, Yao M-S, Zhang J (2014) Configuration and assessment of the GISS ModelE2 contributions to the CMIP5 archive. J Adv Model Earth Syst 6(1):141–184CrossRefGoogle Scholar