Message Transmission Scheduling on Tandem Multi-hop Lossy Wireless Links
This paper proposes a framework for message transmission scheduling on a simple tandem multi-hop transmission model with lossy unreliable wireless links, where each of N nodes periodically generates a message every T time-slots. Such a model is of practical importance, e.g., in low-cost serially-arranged sensor networks in the wild. Each message can be transmitted to an adjacent in a single time-slot, and should be relayed in a store-wait-and-forward manner from its source node to one of gateways at the edges of the tandem within T time-slots. Our framework consists of: (i) a static global time-slot assignment over all links analytically derived by a central server; and (ii) a local message selection for transmission with a simple XOR network coding-based proactive recovery over assigned time-slots on each link. Simulation results show the probability that all messages are successfully delivered to the server (via gateways) by the proposed framework is comparable to or even better than that by ACK-based reactive recovery schemes.
KeywordsTransmission Scheduling Tandem Multi-hop Lossy Wireless Networks
This work is supported by Directorate General of Resources for Science, Technology and Higher Education of Indonesia Government and partly supported by JSPS KAKENHI (25330108).
- 1.Umar, F., Agussalim, Tsuru, M.: Message scheduling for tandem multi-hop wireless networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE APWiMob 2014, Indonesia, pp. 201–207, August 2014Google Scholar
- 2.Agussalim, Tsuru, M.: Static slot assignment with transmission scheduling on tandem multi-hop lossy wireless links. In: Proceedings of the IEICE Society Conference, Japan (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Jain, K., Padhye, J., Padmanabhan, V., Qiu, L.: Impact of interference on multi-hop wireless network performance. In: Proceedings of the ACM MobiCom 2003, USA, pp. 66–80 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Fang, W., Liu, F., Liu, Z., Shu, L., Nishio, S.: Reliable broadcast transmission in wireless networks based on network coding. In: Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM Workshops 2011, Shanghai, pp. 555–559 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Sagduyu, Y.E., Ephremides, A.: Network coding in wireless queueing networks: Tandem network case. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, USA, pp. 192–196 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Zeng, B., Dong, Y.: A collaboration-based distributed TDMA scheduling algorithm for data collection in wireless sensor networks. J. Netw. 9(9), 2319–2327 (2014)Google Scholar