Feature Extraction Based on Bandpass Filtering for Frog Call Classification
In this paper, we propose an adaptive frequency scale filter bank to perform frog call classification. After preprocessing, the acoustic signal is segmented into individual syllables from which spectral peak track is extracted. Then, syllable features including track duration, dominant frequency, and oscillation rate are calculated. Next, a k-means clustering technique is applied to the dominant frequency of syllables for all frog species, whose centroids are used to construct a frequency scale. Furthermore, one novel feature named bandpass filter bank cepstral coefficients is extracted by applying a bandpass filter bank to the spectral of each syllable, where the filter bank is designed based on the generated frequency scale. Finally, a k-nearest neighbour classifier is adopted to classify frog calls based on extracted features. The experiment results show that our proposed feature can achieve an average classification accuracy of 94.3 % which outperforms Mel-frequency cepstral coefficients features (81.4 %) and syllable features (88.1 %).
KeywordsFrog call classification Spectral peak track k-means clustering Filter bank k-nearest neighbour
- 5.Jaafar, H., Ramli, D.A.: Automatic syllables segmentation for frog identification system. In: 2013 IEEE 9th International Colloquium on Signal Processing and Its Applications (CSPA), pp. 224–228. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Harma, A.: Automatic identification of bird species based on sinusoidal modeling of syllables. In: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2003), vol. 5, pp. V–545. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Xie, J., Towsey, M., Truskinger, A., Eichinski, P., Zhang, J., Roe, P.: Acoustic classification of Australian anurans using syllable features. In: 2015 IEEE Tenth International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (IEEE ISSNIP 2015), Singapore, April 2015Google Scholar
- 11.Xie, J., Towsey, M., Zhang, J., Dong, X., Roe, P.: Application of image processing techniques for frog call classification. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 4190–4194, September 2015Google Scholar
- 12.Stewart, D.: “Australian frog calls: subtropical east,” Audio CD (1999). http://www.naturesound.com.au/cd_frogsSE.htm